Friday, September 24, 2010

End o' Week Musings







I've had to talk so much this week that I almost don't want to write either~ fortunately I did a lot of listening too, so I've got a little energy still left!




By the end of last week I was fighting off a cold, so I put most of my life on hold so I could rest up for Sunday. My big weekend outing was to the Los Angeles County Fair with my mother. First stop was checking in at the parade.



My mom went off to explore the fair, while I waited in the lineup. I scored, as I didn't have to walk in the parade-- I got to ride! Instead of standing in the prow of the pirate's ship in my belly dance outfit, I was placed on the circus train this year. It was very comfortable and my car companions were very nice. We waved and threw beads and had a blast.


After the parade, my mom and I walked all over the fair. We explored the Bark Park, the wild animal exhibits on the hill-- we adored the huge vulture! and the Flower Pavilion filled with my friend Louise's butterflies and graced with two floral displays by my friend Richard (one of his arrangements included feathers from my goose friends Henri and Gloria).


We also went to the barn area and saw super fuzzy yaks, tons of bunnies and the strangest ducks. The ducks would stand up, sort of like penguins, and run wherever they wanted to go. After doing some research, I think they are Indian running ducks. They were cute, but kinda scary when they ran in my direction in a huge group!


We wandered through Heritage Square and talked to people making brooms, rag rugs and other crafts. The dinosaur hall was fun too-- my mom said she wouldn't have minded having some of the creatures as pets!


Mom was looking a little tired, but I talked her into riding on the double decker carousel. She was a little resistant, but guess what?! She was the first one on a horse on the top!





After the fair we went out for dinner and I understand my mom went straight to bed when she got home.


I went back to the fair Wednesday with my friend John. We wandered through the marketplace halls, but didn't buy anything more than beer and soda. We also caught the acrobat show in the pirate area, which was quite good.



The bulk of my week was spent interviewing and writing. I was at the Huntington Monday to learn about the Charles Bukowski and Bronze statues exhibits. I also spoke with Chef David, the new head chef for The Royce, which is opening at the Langham Huntington Hotel in October, and Ed Asner. Asner was very funny! I'm supposed to interview Rob Zombie on Monday about his show in LA later next week.


Tonight, Angela and I are going to Knott's Scary Farm. She's never been, so it will be extra fun. I'm in the mood for a good laugh!!



In rotation this week: The New Czars, Ella Fitzgerald, Britney Spears, Glen Wooley and a few other odds and ends.





Photos we got 'em: Two funny photos that my friend e-mailed me, a picture of Indian running ducks standing still (ha ha ha!) and a photo of my boss' dog, Cedric the Corgi after he won a prize in the "musical hoops" (like musical chairs) event at a dog outing.


Thought o' the week: Keep plucky. OK I'll admit it. I'm a little tiffed with someone in my life this week. There's one thing that really bugs me big time and that's people who don't call when they say they will (especially if you're supposed to be going out to do something that evening) and they don't have an excuse.



I understand things happen. I also understand sometimes when you get to the end of your day, you may be tired out and just want to go home and be quiet. But it's really rude to leave someone waiting on you and not say anything.


Our plans were not carved in stone and nothing required any reservations, but there I was, dressed and waiting. I could have been lazing in my pjs or doing something productive (like paying bills), but no... I was in a holding pattern. It really ticks me off to lose the bulk of an evening because I'm expecting to go out and nothing happens.





The worst part is you really don't have a lot of recourse. You can admonish your friend, you can stop hanging out with them or you can let it go. Well, I'm tired of letting it go, but I'm not sure I want to let the entire relationship go because of this faux pas... then again, this isn't the first time this has happened. Guess I have a little thinking to do on this one.

And the plucky part~ I'm not going to let this totally slide, as I'm going to tell my friend that I do not appreciate being treated this way and that I have lots of stuff to do, so if we make plans, at least call to cancel so I have an option. Do you have any suggestions on more effective ways to deal with these kinds of people? If so, share them, as I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

3 comments:

Bob Davis said...

Hi Mickie!

"The Case of the Mendicant Mallards"

Those "Indian running ducks" remind me of the time Pat and I were driving down the Oregon Coast. We found a picnic area near an RV park and set up for lunch on one of the park tables. We didn't pay much attention to what at first appeared to be large brown rocks. As soon as the food came out of the cooler, the "rocks" came to life. They were mallards, and they thought it would be "just ducky" if we shared our lunch with them. In fact, they INSISTED very loudly that munchies should be given to them IMMEDIATELY! Not wanting a chorus of quacks for our mealtime entertainment, we relocated to another table on the other side of the parking lot. It was a warm day, and the ducks didn't want to scorch their webby feet on the hot asphalt. One might say we "ducked out" on them.

Coming soon (or later) "Bob Talks Turkey" and "Getting 'Goosed' in the Park" (This would tie in with the Canto Robledo story)

Bobby Boy (and his story stash)

Unknown said...

Regarding your flaky friend? Put him/her on probation. Seriously! No plans that don't involve other people—so if/when they are late or flake out, you can still have fun.

Mickie said...

Thanks for the duck story Bob- you always have fun adventures.

Paula- I think you're right. Next time I'll make sure it's something I can do on my own and maybe I'll meet someone new and make a better friend lol!