Friday, February 10, 2012

End o' week musings























No, I haven't forgotten you... I've been super swamped and spending too many hours on the road. But that's how a journalist gets the good stories...








Last Saturday I went to Descanso Gardens in the morning with my friend Linda. We walked through the place two times! Even up the hills! It was so nice out and the scenery was sooo pretty. There's nothing better than having a good chat while getting some exercise too.









In the evening I went with my friend Roc to the Canyon Club in Agoura to see The Pettybreakers (Tom Petty tribute band) and DSB (Don't Stop Believin' Journey tribute band). I'll be honest, I'm not big on tribute bands, but I do appreciate good musicianship, so the show was entertaining.




The Pettybreakers have talent and a good command of the material. I didn't particularly care for the guest "Stevie Nicks" they had, as she tried to look and move the part, but then did her own thing vocally. She had a decent voice though.






DSB didn't look like Journey, but if you closed your eyes, you'd be hard pressed to tell who was really on stage. They were definitely spot-on with the sound. Several people in the crowd told me that they were big Journey fans and were seeing DSB for their 6th, 10th or more time.














I hate to sound weird, but one of the best things about the Canyon Club was the huge chair as you walked in. It was porportioned like a regular wingback chair, but oversized, so you felt like a little kid sitting in it. It was really comfortable and if I had room at my house, I'd buy one!





Sunday of course was Super Bowl day. I went with my drummer Ric to his friend's house for a party. This was going to be extra special, as Ric is Mr. Sandman in the new Kia commercial, which would be airing for the first time during the fourth quarter of the football game.










I entered the house with my arms full and was greeted by a big dog, who promptly stood up, put a paw on each of my shoulders and licked my face. Good thing I like dogs! It was actually quite funny, as the guys scrambled to grab the pup while I just laughed.









Before and during the game, we played craps. The game would stop for every commercial or any good football plays. And when Ric's commercial came on. We all cheered for him-- he was perfect... but I don't think I want him tiptoeing out of my closet in his onsie to sprinkle me with dream dust! Sorry, Ric...





The football was over and the craps game wound down to me and one other guy and we finally called it a day. Too bad it was just chips-- I would have gone home with a couple of bucks in my pocket!





Monday I met Carin and Tom for dinner. We went to Tava ( http://www.tavalounge.com/ ) in Artesia, which offers modern Indian cuisine. The food was awesome! We had an appetizer of spinach hummus and naan (bread). I went for the vegetarian dish with biryani rice, while Tom had a vegie dish too with an avocado curry base and Carin had chicken biryanit rice topped with two fried eggs. We each chose a different level of spice- mild for Carin, medium for me and hot for Tom. I suggest if you're not sure, go for mild, as the hot is just that. The medium was just that, but fine for me. In all cases, the flavors beneath the spice came through nicely.






We ended our meal with a samosa stuffed with hazelnut cream and fresh strawberries- yum! And we took home enough food for seconds and thirds!




The server, Billie, was very good. She made suggestions, explained the dishes well and was just-right attentive. And she was as pretty as the venue's decor-- which we all liked. After our meal, Billie brought us plastic packages containing hot moist cotton towels with a peach-mango scent. I have never been handed a towel that looked like a snack before! It left me with a spa-pampered feel... Definitely a nice touch. And we all want to go back and try another dish or two!




The rest of my week it's been interview central. I spoke with the band Voodoo Fix, bluesman Joe Walker Louis and actor Mark Doerr-- all very nice and interesting.




As for the coming weekend-- don't bother me!! I need to do a ton of sewing, plus laundry, clean house and so on.... How crazy to have to schedule time for those things?!




In rotation this week: Terrible Things, Elton John & Leon Russell, Lamb of God and Symphony X.



Photos we got 'em: I was busy with my cell phone at Descanso Gardens- flowers, the koi pond, Linda- enjoy!




Thought o' the week: Love, pass it on. Yes, we're being deluged by all that Valentine's Day mush, but the idea behind all the glitz is right.



I admit to being a sucker for romance (although I don't care for romatic movies or novels!). I love being in love and spreading love around to the people in my world. I have sent out scores of Valentine's Day cards and given out a ton of conversation hearts over the years, but not just for special someones, I pass the love on to my friends as well.




Life is too short not to let people know how important they are to you. And it's also too short not to give a kind word or a smile even to a stranger. The world is a better place with a little caring and not just on some card company's holiday, but every day.



Maybe you'll be a little more romantic on Tuesday and that's OK, just remember the rest of the year and pass on some of that love wherever you see it's needed.



Keep on rockin'

Mickie






















Today I also got the clean bill of health from my doctor. He is pleased with all my blood testing, OK with my weight and happy with the progress I've made from my back problems.

2 comments:

Bobby Boy said...

Hi Mickie,

Regarding romance: I'm probably not the only guy who does this, but few of us are willing to admit it--I get misty-eyed at weddings, whether it's a couple I know, or a royal couple in England (where they really know how to do a ceremony!) or just characters in a movie, pass the Kleenex please!

And congratulations on your good report from the doctor. Pat and I are going for our checkups on Feb. 15 (what a way to have a late Valentines Day event).

Regarding tribute bands: My January OCS covered Adam Marsland's Sir Elton tribute; this month he's literally doing a "Month of Sundays"--every Sunday evening in February he's doing an EJ night, with his many musical friends joining in with their favorite Sir Elton songs at Brennan's [imitation Irish] Pub in Marina del Rey.

Stay stoked!

Bobby Boy

Mickie said...

Blog readers- you can see Bobby Boy's OCS (Old Curiosity Shop) column at www.DaBelly.com

Hello Bobby,

Nothing better than a romantic man! Your wife is lucky to have you by her side.

Good health and happy listening (as in to Adam Marsland),
Mickie