Friday, June 29, 2012

End o' week musings



Can you say excited? Oh yeah, I am sooo looking forward to the weekend! But I digress...


Last weekend I babied my knee (which is feeling pretty good now) and cleaned my home. I went through all my books and CDs and sorted out the things I don't get too often enough or I wanted others to enjoy. The result was more than eight boxes set to go for donation!


My friends Dean and Andrew came over to help with the hefting part of things and I was able to make my space look very different. I'll admit it- I had a few stacks of books and CDs on the floor because I was out of room. Now there's nothing on the floor and tons more space. I could rearrange my living room any way I want... but that's for another day. And we deep cleaned throughout so my place sparkles and not just from my glitter.


Tuesday I went to the Arcadia Museum of History to learn about its upcoming exhibit on lace. I marveled at the intricacy of some of the pieces- many of which were handmade. It's actually quite interesting, especially when you get into the historical aspects of the craft.


Wednesday night I took those eight boxes plus to the Baldwin Park Library, where I was greeted with big smiles. They will use what they can and sell the rest to get what they need. I feel good helping spread literacy and knowledge, as well as a little fun.


Thursday I interviewed Michael Dorn (Worf of "Star Trek"). He will be appearing in "As You LIke It" on stage in a garden in Los Angeles. He had a lovely voice and was gracious and funny too. Watch for my story in a couple of weeks at http://www.sgvn.com/


In the evening I went to 3ality Technica (http://www.3alitytechnica.com/ ) in Burbank to learn about 3D film technology. I watched a selection of film, including U2 performing "Sunday Bloody Sunday," trailers for "Spider-Man," "Prometheus" and the new Katy Perry movie, plus slices from a Russian war film, Black Eyed Peas and Kenny Chesney concerts and more. The movies were amazing, as you felt as if you were in them rather than just watching.


After the screening there was a panel discussion about 3D applications in the music industry. We also got a peek at Katy Perry's upcoming "Labyrinth" music video, which was awesome! I'm curious to see if things will change the way the 3ality Technica people think they will... only time will tell.


This morning I spoke with singer/songwriter Penny Nichols ( http://www.pennynichols.com/ ) , who has just released "Colors of the Sun: Penny Nichols sings the early songs of Jackson Browne." She will be performing two shows July 15 at the Coffee Gallery Backstage in Altadena http://www.coffeegallery.com/


OK now for the big drum roll! ~



The Queens of Doo Dah Request the honour of your presence at a Royal Cocktail Extravaganza Sunday, July 1st 5 o'clock to 8 o'clock in the evening in theFenyes Estate Gardens Pasadena Museum of History, 470 W. Walnut Street, Pasadena 91103






. Mingle with Majesty (including me, 31st Queen Naughty Mickie)





Sip Signature Cocktails

Dirty Doo Dah ~ The Doo Drop ~ Doo Dah Twist ~ Doodahpolitan





Savor the flavor of Doodahrific Hors d'oeuvres









Revel in Impromptu Musical Performances by Doo Dah Talent







Tickets:


$35.00 per guest with RSVP


$30.00 per PMH Member with RSVP


$40.00 per guest without RSVP


626.577.1660, ext. 15



Doo Dah cocktail attire encouraged!




Hosted by Light Bringer Project and Pasadena Museum of History; all proceeds from this event support the installation & exhibition of "What A Long Strange Trip It's Been: 35 Years of the Pasadena Doo Dah Parade," a major retrospective exhibition opening August 15, 2012 at Pasadena Museum of History. http://www.pasadenahistory.org/ http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info/




Now you know, I hope you'll go and if you do, please come up to me for a chat!



Next week it's Fourth of July fun and more adventures...




In rotation this week Beautiful Creatures, McGuffy Lane, Tracy G Group, Britney Spears, Tae Phoenix, Penny Nichols and Bobby Boy's Old Curiosity Shop mixtape.



Photos we got 'em: Current Doo Dah Queen Patrizzi Intergarlactica on parade and former queens waiting to annouce her win at the tryouts by Terry Miller and a couple of pet pix from the web.



Thought o' the week: Think cathartic. It was healing in many ways for me to clean out my house.



First of all, the energy I expended to do the tasks got my endorphins flowing, which is good for your moods, plus I got some good exercise and my body felt happy. When I finished, there was space and light as opposed to feeling almost suffocated by things. And the feeling of spreading good around with my donations added to my joy.



I can also look at cleaning house another way- a sort of spiritual and emotional movement. Making my environment less stressful offers me an opportunity to take stock in my life during the tasks and to reset my attitude once I'm done. It's a cleansing of self if you allow it to be.






There are other ways we can cleanse our lives, such as taking time for a walk on a busy day, chatting with a friend after work or singing loudly with your favorite CD. And though these things may not be as dramatic, whether you are concious of it or not, they all add up for a healing effect. I'm feeling peaceful now and ready to let the happiness I deserve flow back in. Deep breath.. in a word... think what's cathartic for you?



Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: