Friday, July 20, 2012

End o' week musings













It's weird how the week can be very long, but yet very short... It seems like only this morning it was Monday... maybe I should have had a cup of coffee today...









Saturday morning 9:30 a.m. I was sitting in the dark with my movie critic friend Vernor ( www.insidesocal.com/vernorsticket and @vernorsticket) waiting for "Ice Age." Vernor and I are big Skrat fans and, as far as I'm concerned, the movie could have been more Skrat and less the rest of the creatures. Still, I know that's not the point.






The animation for "Ice Age" was terrific. I couldn't get over how some things, like the ocean water, looked so real. The storyline was typical and I knew the ending would be so saccharine sweet that I would cringe, but I also knew that I'm not the target audience. Frankly, I think it would be kinda cool to see Diego the sabertooth lose it and take a bite out of Manny the mammoth's tushie or gut Sid the sloth. OK, maybe that's a little harsh, but....




On the other hand, the Skrat scenes were worth the price of admission. I loved his little confused face when he ended up at Skratlantis and you know what's going to happen, the fun part is the how.





In the evening I went to see glass player Doug Lee perform at Lala dance studio in Glassell Park. Doug was joined by fellow glass player Brian for a series of duets that were amazing. The men offered up Brubeck's "Take Five," Mingus, Mozart, "Dream a Little Dream" and more-- all on glasses that you could have used to toast and party at your table!







On Sunday my friend Dean and I planned an adventure. We took the Gold Line out to Chinatown and wandered through the shops. I remembered this great little restaurant that had fantastic cahr siu bao (steamed pork buns) and a lots of other yummy things. We bought some buns and dumplings and found a bench up the street to stop for a nibble.





I think Dean got about two bites in on his dumpling when he said we had to go back and get some to take home! He hadn't had this kind of dumplings before, but he was sold. Sigh, that's why I always try to stop at that eatery when I go down there... We trudged back the coupel of blocks and bought more dumplings and char siu bao, plus red bean buns and a couple of seasame balls-- a feast for sure!



After Chinatown, we walked to Olivera Street and made our way through it to Union Station. I love sitting in the station and looking at all the people. It's funny how many are sleeping. I don't think I could ever be tired enough to fall asleep there-- there's too much to see and I would be worried about someone sneaking off with my shoes or valuables.





Wednesday I took my Doo Dah collection of stuff - costumes, photos, banners - to the American Legion for the Doo Dah exhibit curators to peruse. They were surprised and pleased when they saw how much I had. I hope it helps. If you have any Doo Dah memorabilia you would be willing to loan for the exhibit, they will be taking in stuff again on Sunday, July 22. For info, visit www.insidesocal.com/doodah






Thursday I met "food adventurer" Peter Dills at Trattoria Neapolis for an interview and photo shoot. I am doing a story on him and his legacy (he's the son of Elmer Dills) for our Rose magazine. The restaurant was very accomodating and even gave us a tasting. The food there is fantastic. I definitely want to go there with some friends for a meal.





Tonight I'm planning to catch the Zeroes, The Muffs and Flytrap at the Troubadour in WeHo and I'm going to the Hawaiian festival in Lawndale over the weekend too.





In rotation this week: Dio, Beat Union, Joan Baez, Tae Phoenix and Orange Sky.



Photos we got 'em: A photo on the train and one in Chinatown by Dean Lee and a couple of animal pix that made me smile.




Thought o' the week: Organization isn't a dirty word. I admit it, I am every bit the organizer that my horoscope sign Virgo says I should be. I not only alphabetize my CDs and books, but put them in categories by genre. I hang my clothes by use and often by color too. This may be slightly annoying, but I'm at piece when everything is in its place.




My weird bent became fortunate when it came to sorting stuff out for the Doo Dah Parade exhibit call. I had one box of things to go through and then plucked my costumes out of the closet, placed them in a garmet bag, bagged up the rest of my handy goodies and was ready to go withing a half hour. Yeah, my house seems sort of empty now with all the photos and things gone... But the point is I knew where everything was and life was good.






Putting things in a set place may take a little work, but in the end, it saves you a lot of time and frustration. Are you organized? Maybe you should try it.


Keep on rockin'

Mickie


















No comments: