Friday, February 23, 2007

End o' week musings


It's almost the end of a purr-fectly busy week and I'm wishing I could spend my weekend like the kitty above- pampered and resting contentedly on a mound of pillows, but alas! I have miles of adventures to go before I sleep.

I spent last weekend singing for 3 1/2 hours and then dancing the next day for two. It's fun, but tiring. I am so looking forward to my next dance gig, Atomic Raqit!, on March 3. It is a MECDA (Middle Eastern Culture and Dance Association) Inland Empire event, where we are encouraged to perform in unique costumes to music from the '50s-'70s. I'd tell you the tunes Zaynah and I picked, but I'd like to keep our act a surprise- we did, however, pick a tune for each decade and the creativity is on high speed.

Monday I went to the Rock and Roll Fantasy Band Camp concert at the House of Blues in Hollyweird. The campers' bands were quite good and everyone looked like they were on top of the world as they performed. All of the counselors, who are pro musicians, were there and there were plenty of guest artists, like Dickey Betts, Paul Stanley and Jeff Scott Soto to add to the show. I'll let you know when the full story is ready so you can read about my adventures as a band geek. For now, you can visit www.rockandrollfantasycamp.com
Tuesday I made an appearance at a Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday party. There was lots of food and the Hurricanes were pouring. I had a drink to toast and then stuck with water so I could drive home totally sober.
Wednesday I went out to Alhambra to interview Media Orphan. They're a local power pop rock group with some decent harmonies and an intriguing mix of influences. You can learn a bit about them at www.mediaorphan.com or www.myspace.com/mediaorphan. But you'll get the biggest secrets when my story comes out, so I'll keep you posted.
Other stories I've covered are local artist Bred in Captivity and Kaddisfly on Hot Topic's Sub City Take Action Tour. I also joined forces with my coworker Vernor Rodgers for a review of the Moody Blues when they played in Pasadena on Vernor's birthday last week. Visit www.sgvn.com , select any paper, then select music and have a good read or three.
Next on deck for me is more dancing and singing, plus covering the Oscars on Sunday!! There's never a dull moment in my life, except maybe on the rare occasions when I'm asleep.
In rotation this week: Gene Autry, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, Ray Charles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and snippets of a bunch of other artists.
Get off the couch and experience life!!
and be sure to
keep on rockin'
Mickie



No comments: