Friday, October 3, 2008

End o' week musings

My day began with some humor... On my way through my office's parking lot, two of my co-workers told me to smile as it's not only Friday, but welfare day. So that's what they're calling payday now.... hmmmm....

Last Friday I went to the Fret House in Covina to learn about the House of Rock program. Daryl Hernandez heads the class. It is open to anyone who would like the experience of being in a band. He assigns the students songs to learn and puts them together in different configurations so they get the give and take of working as a group. He also encourages questions and discussions. The band will be performing at Bluesapalooza later in October.

After that bout of sound, I went to the Dockside Grill in West Covina to hang out with The Subs. Rich from the Fret House showed up and he and I had a nice chat over some cold suds. It made for a very good evening.

Saturday I was in the Cultural Diversity Parade at the Los Angeles County Fair. I showed up in my red, white and blue beaded belly dance outfit. The parade organizer invited me to ride on one of the floats and asked if I would prefer to go with the pirate ship or the barn. I looked down at my costume, then up at her and said, "What do you think?" "Ummm, pirates," she grinned. And yes, the pirates were thrilled to have me shaking to their sea chanteys down the parade route.

Sunday Zaynah and I went to Tribal L.A. in Glendale. We were a little disappointed, as there weren't very many people there nor were there many vendors. We did have a fun time performing, though. We danced with all three of our swords and the audience enjoyed it- several people came up after to tell us so! This event was lacking, but it was its first time out, so perhaps it will grow. I hope so, as belly dancing events seem to be gradually disappearing and the art seems to be fading from the excitement it had previously.

The remainder of the week I laid pretty low, as I've really needed some time for myself to think and recharge. Last night, however, I did sneak out to a local watering hole and met my favorite guy for some beer and baseball. It's embarrassing, but I've never sat in a bar and watched sports before... and I've realized I've been missing a lot of fun. In fact, I'm looking forward to doing that again soon!

Tomorrow I have to go for the first fitting for my bridesmaid's dress for my brother's wedding. I hope his fiance has picked out a style and color that I can wear again.... And Sunday, I will be joining my favorite movie critic, Vernor Rodgers, for the very early showing of "Beverly Hills Chihuahua." It probably won't be a huge conversation-maker, but it should be a good time.

Next week I will be interviewing the blues band Kolvane and trying to continue my quest for serenity amid my chaotic life...


In rotation this week: Judas Priest, Brothers von Doom, HorrorPops, Valencia, Necromantix, Diecast, Dave Morrison, Offspring, I Am Ghost and Wicked Tinkers.

Photos we got 'em: Here's a photo of me and Zaynah at the Fair just before our performance, plus a couple of weird pet pics.

My thoughts this week: Perserverence is the word. I keep going along, trying to make my way through everything - piles of stories, my family, etc. - and stay focused an in control. Finally, this week, I've been making some headway.


On Tuesday, I told my mother that she has to deal with some of her problems, as I can't get in between her and my brother and some of it really isn't my business. She listened and (I think) finally understood. I'm happy to help them both any way I can, but there's just some things you have to let them sort out.

I stood up and had a big stretch mid-afternoon yesterday as I filed the last of my looming-deadline stories, which marked the last of the pile. I have spent most of my time since June wading in an onslaught of an ever-increasing stack of stories. Now, don't get me wrong, I relish in being busy, but it was becoming a little bit much. So, I am welcome for a break, even if it's short.

In the other parts of my personal life, things seem to be getting better. I just need to maintain a positive attitude and let everything be. I need to not try to push or control things, but has faith that all will work out as it should. Perhaps you can learn something from my experiences... I hope so... even if it's just to remember to stop and take a breath once in a while.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: