Friday, September 3, 2010

End o' Week Musings

OK, I know you've been waiting all week to find out what I did when I was off work for three days- I went camping with my mother. I usually take off to Leo Carrillo State Park and Beach for a little break in August. I cruise down the coast in my convertible, then pick my spot from what's available and set up my home-away-from-home.





This year, I had mom in tow and she was good little camper. We walked to the beach every day and drove to Oxnard for lunch one of the days. We had a lot of visitors to our site as well, as it was up against the woods. One morning mom had gone up to the bathroom to brush her teeth and get ready for the day. I sat outside the tent under "our" tree reading a book and after a few minutes I felt like I was being watched. I looked up to see a semi-circle of forest friends- birds, bunnies, squirrels and a small fox, all looking at me! It reminded me of "Snow White" and I wondered if I should sing, but instead I just said a quiet hello and went back to my book.


Later I left everyone treats- popcorn, peanuts and a hot dog. Gee, now I think of it, I should have tuned the radio in to a baseball game for them ha ha ha!

I came home relaxed and little brown. I was good about the sunblock- so don't fret.


Saturday I dropped by the "Everyday Joe" art show in Glendora and saw some amazing work. I also head Daryl Hernandez playing classical guitar there-- he was wonderful. My mother bought me a necklace by ceramicist Lynn Hendricks. Then we went to my favorite jeweler, Kailani in Covina. My mom had promised to buy me a hula girl pendant necklace after I was invited to join the Wicky Wacky Wahines. Both necklaces were for my birthday too (Sept. 5).

On Sunday I rambled out to Pasadena and watched some friends play baseball. After the game I went to the patio of the former McMyrphy's on Fair Oaks Avenue (I can't remember the venue's new name) to hear Little Red and his band growl out a couple sets of blues.


I hit Rude Dog in Covina for $2 margaritas Tuesday and Maggie's in Santa Fe Springs for it's happy hour buffet Wednesday. Last night found me at McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World for its artists' reception. In between I've interviewed Jesse from Heaven Below and today I'm waiting for Jason Bonham to give me call for our chat. Whew! I've been busy! But it goes on...


Also yesterday, my co-workers surprised me with a mini-feast for my birthday. There was red velvet cupcakes (my favorite!), ice cream, chips, veggies with dip, soda, cookies and more! What a great group!!

My birthday weekend starts tonight when I go back to the gallery to dance with my swords, accompanied by the irrepressible Ric. We'll be performing in between sets by bluesgrass mavens Wreck N Sow.


Here's the skinny:

Group Show @ GATOW
Noon-6 p.m. Sept. 2-5
McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World, 2475 N. Lake Ave., Altadena
Free
626-794-8779
http://www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com/

1st Friday Art Club 7 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday, Sept. 3, $5.
Salon noon-6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, bring potluck dish to share.

Tie One On brunch noon-6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 5, potluck dish welcomed.


Also check out this write up from Hometown Pasadena



I have a smattering of other adventures planned over the next few days, but will be back at the gallery on Sunday toasting my birthday-- if you drop by, say hello!




In rotation this week: HorrorPops, Beat Union, 69 Eyes, Queen and Brian May.




Photos we got 'em: Artist Dave Lovejoy (www.lovejoyart.com ) posing with his work at GATOW last night, me at the Dodger's game the other week (they lost despite my encouragement), a closeup of my b-day cupcake and some b-day silliness.


Thought o' the week: Let go. Birthdays for me are often a time for reflection and I've been doing a lot of that lately so I have decided that I owe myself some fun. I plan to just let life happen over the next few days and take joy in every bit of it. Sometimes it's good for us to drop all our seriousness and plans and just flow.


By Tuesday, I'll have to be back in the grind of responsibility, but I know I'll feel refreshed, renewed and ready to take on the world... my world lol!




It's OK to unplug for a little while as long as you have everything under control before you do and you know you can get it together again as soon as you "return." So party on with whatever makes you feel your best-- it can be quiet time with a book, chatting over drinks with friends or shakin' your groove thing, anything, as long as it puts that sparkle back in your life.


Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: