Friday, September 17, 2010

End o' Week Musings

And what a week it was!


Friday night I went to the Fret House (http://www.frethouse.com/ ) in Covina to catch Daryl Hernandez' classical guitar concert. The show began with one of Hernandez's House of Rock students playing violin, then one of his college friends offered up a set of guitar. Both were wonderful.



Daryl did a set and then his friend returned and they played the program that they performed at a music festival in Greece over the summer. After the show, we went to the local wine bar and drank beers and ate pizza. I had a beer recommended by the bartender- a Celebrator, it was very good- thick and hearty.




Saturday I went to Tom and Carin's and we took the train and a bus to Metropol in Los Angeles to go on the Esotouric tour "Hotel Horrors and Main Street Vice" (http://www.esotouric.com/ ). We had time for breakfast, so we indulged and it was yummy! I had the Aussie plate which was fancy bread topped by tomatoes and Havarti cheese, graced by a big glass of orange juice.


The tour was interesting and enjoyable. We learned about the many changes in the downtown L.A. area, as well as heard all kinds of wild stories of crime and mischief, and got off the bus at several points to peek inside historic hotels. We took a break at Clifton's, where I passed on eating in preference to wandering around and taking in all the cool decor. I finally discovered the chapel alcove upstairs, which was eerily somber and bordeline hokey, but definitely worth the hunt!


While touring the Alexandria hotel, we learned about the Blankenship Ballet (http://www.blankenshipballet.com/), a Cuban company that performs in the round. They have a big show Oct. 8 and 9 and I'm hoping to attend, as Cuban dancers are some of the best in the world.






After the tour, Carin and Tom's friends Karen and Tom (weird, huh?), who were also on the outing, joined us at Trax in Union Station for drinks. Yes, yes, dirty martini, please... We had a nice visit and then went our separate ways. Back in Bellflower, we trundled down to the main drag for the car show, took a long walk through it and then headed for Stox for dinner.




Sunday Ric showed up at my place all energy, which was good considering we were performing at the Los Angeles County Fair in a few hours. We arrived early, just before some of my Polynesian dance friends were taking the stage. I watched their show and then went to my dressing room to get ready, while the Peking Acrobats performed.


I had my swords out and the Chinese master - dressed very formally in black silk - came over to have a look. Despite his lack of English and my lack of Chinese we were still able to communicate and I showed him what I did with my swords and received his approval via a bow and a smile.





Ric was terrific on stage and I felt pretty good myself. We made it through a 30 minute set, mixing in dance with taped and live music and Ric's vocal and drum songs. The audience was very receptive, especially when Ric asked them if I should go for a second, and then a third sword. After our performance, the stage manager commented that she watched our entire show and really like the fact that we were sooo different! We kept her interest.. and the audience's, so we'll probably be invited back next year.


Ric and I enjoyed the rest of the afternoon at the Fair. We played the horses- I lost my teeny tiny bets and Ric won his fair ones. We looked at my friend Louise's handiwork in the Floral Pavilion-- good job gf! We tasted wine and found a new one we liked. Best of all, we rode on the double decker carousel! I went hope happy and tired.


Just finished with dinner and beginning to think about soaking in the tub, my special guy texted me, inviting me to join him and his friends at the Venice Room in Monterey Park. What the heck, I thought, it should be fun. I hadn't washed my makeup off yet and decided to let it go- sparkly glitter and all and just threw on some clothes. We ended up cheering and whining (depending on your team) the Redskins/Cowboys football game and followed that with karaoke.


Now I'm not much one for karaoke, as I prefer singing with a live band, but I enjoy listening and watching other people. It was a mix of some really great voices with some that... well... should stay at home in their showers. My guy surprised me because he was very good and took the spotlight with finesse! We stayed until karaoke was done-- sleep? I'll do that when I'm dead...


Monday I interviewed Burleigh, the drummer for Ambrosia. The band will be playing at CalProg in Whittier in October. On Thursday I chatted with Van Mosely of The Answer, a local - and very popular - cover band.

Sunday I will be in the parade at the Fair. If you go, look for me on one of the floats. I'll be in a belly dance costume. The rest of next week is busy with interviews and writing!





In rotation this week: HorrorPops, Celine Dion, Sting and Ella Fitzgerald.



Photos we got 'em: Some cute pet pics from the Web, plus me on the carousel at the Fair and cuddling a bear at Clifton's.



Thought o' the week: Take care of yourself. I don't get ill very often, but I have been feeling a little worn down so I'm pretty sure I've been fighting something off. Wednesday I had a bad headache. I went home early, had a healthy lunch, took some zinc and then stayed in bed, sleeping off and on until Thursday morning. I still wasn't my perky self, so I took it easy yesterday and today, I'm definitely on the mend.



It's really hard for me to slow down for anything, but I know when I need to. I'm going to keep quiet tomorrow too and just do some stuff around the house so I can knock out whatever is trying to make me sick.


With all the icky viruses and germs peeking out again, take care of yourself. Get extra sleep if you need it, eat healthy, workout and do everything possible to keep the ickies at bay. Wishing you a healthy week!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie





No comments: