Friday, August 26, 2011

End o' Week Musings





What a week!


Friday I went to a luau luncheon with my friends Carin, Tom and Obie. They had a roasted pig, which was a little creepy, but yummy and some really cool edible arrangements. The meal included the pork, veggies, fruit salad, egg rolls, blue punch and more. There was a Hawaiian dance troupe of mainly little girls, who were pretty good and very cute to watch.





Sunday I went with my Ren Faire friend Linda to a little party in Long Beach. I knew some of the people there and left with even more friends. The highlight was seeing the birthday girl Susan's art studio. She has good light and a decent sized workspace. Susan showed me what she was working on- a contemporary painting, plus some of her other pieces. Back in her living room, she had beautiful plein air landscapes, an excellent figurative painting and an assemblage piece that held lots of things for the viewer to discover. I was quite impressed.









Another neat thing about Susan and her partner is that they have two older dogs that are rescues. One is a perky Pomeranian, who loves going to the door to greet people and looking so adorable you just have to pet her. The other is a terrier mix, who must have been treated badly in the past, as he is a little shy and cautious. He finally came over to me and let me pet him and when I left, he came up to me to say good bye. I think he's going to be fine with a little time.



Dance practice on Monday with my drummer Ric went swimmingly as they say. He is doing very well with the choreography and even contributing his own ideas, which are very cool. We work quite well together.



It's going to be a very different show for us at the Los Angeles County Fair this year. If you're out there on Saturday, Sept. 10, wander over to building 4 for a nice seat in air conditioning to see us, Nocturra & Ric, perform from 1:45-2:15 p.m. The show will be unlike anything we've done previously, so we'd love your feedback and of course, please come say hello.



Wednesday I interviewed Maria Eberline, who is starring in "South Side" at the Pasadena Playhouse, and yesterday I went to Mountain View Masoleum & Cemetery in Altadena to interview the artistic directors of the Wicked Lit event coming there in October. The masoleum was awesome- lots of marble, painted ceilings, "stained" glass and more.





Tonight I going with Angela to see Ennio Marchetta at the Pasadena Playhouse. It's going to be one hour filled with giggles! And Wednesday I'll be going to the Fairplex in Pomona to learn about some of the exhibits during the Los Angeles County Fair. But my biggest excitement coming up is on Monday-- I have the honor of going to interview Glen Campbell at his house!! I hope he'll show me his guitar collection. And, wow, what questions to ask, I have sooo many!! I'll let you know how it went.










In rotation this week: Big Time, Eli Young Band, Falling in Reverse, Our Last Night and Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet."



Photos we got 'em: A few animal photos to make you laugh.




Thought o' the week: Simmer down. I let my anger get the best of me this week. One day I was a little overwhelmed by all the things I need to do, both at home and at work, and I let go a little. I ranted to my podmate and spent the rest of the day steaming. Yeah, that was productive... not!







Finally, I was in bed just laying there staring at the ceiling, when I said to myself that I was getting worked up over things I can't change so what the heck?! I vowed to just get through everything the best I can and somehow it will all be OK. And I know in my heart this is true, deep breath, sigh, this too shall pass.



Don't make yourself crazy and get all worked up over something you can't change. It just isn't worth it. Simmer down and



Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: