Friday, November 11, 2011

End o' Week Musings















Is it nap time yet?? It's dull outside, which makes me want to sleep in late and then curl up with hot chocolate and a good book. But alas, I am in the office diligently working to bring you the latest and coolest entertainment news that you need to know...








I survived daylight savings time and have kept my grumbling to a minimum despite having to do most of my walks armed with a flashlight.





Monday I had the pleasure of meeting fellow blogger and tweeter Janelle
( http://www.janellerandazza.com/ ). We met at Kings Row in Pasadena and chatted about the Internet, writing and our lives over a cocktail for her and a glass of wine for me, plus some dinner. I have been craving Kings Row's amazing macaroni and cheese for a while, so I indulged and yum! just as I remembered it.











Wednesday I interviewed Peter from Act As If (http://www.actasifmusic.com/ ). His band will be releasing a new original song for the holidays, followed by an EP in January. My story will preview their performance at Hotel Cafe in L.A. early December. I'll admit that I usually like my rock served up harder, but Act As If's songwriting is superb and there's something about Peter's voice and the presentation of the music that gets to me.




Peter was super nice and, after our chat, he sent me an MP3 of the raw version of the holiday song, "Sleigh Bells and Reindeer." It was really good and should get some notice when it's finished and out for everyone to hear. And OK, yeah, I'm becoming a fan...








If you're looking for a nice present or something different for your table, you might want to come out to the triple cream sherry sale at Rancho de Philo. The winery only offers its sherry three weeks of the year and that's if it doesn't sell out before. If you check reviews, the sherry gets lots of stars and I can tell you from personal experience that it's perfect for the holidays.











But why am I rambling on about sherry? Because my band Ad Hoc Consort will be playing at the winery on opening day and I will be dancing with my swords. There will also be a harp player. Here's the info:




Rancho de Philo winery


10050 Wilson, Alta Loma, 91737


909-987-4208


Free entertainment 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12



Come for the sherry, stay for the music and dancing (or vice versa!)



Next week looks on the quiet side, but as you know that doesn't mean much to me, as adventure has a way of catching up.



In rotation this week: Act As If, Billy Webb Band, Jake Troth and the Take Action tour compilation discs.




Photos we got 'em: My new friend Janelle (taken with my cell phone) and a couple cute pet pics from the web.




Thought o' the week: I've had several things bumping around my brain this week, but since it's Veterans Day, I'll give that the honors. I am very proud to be an America, despite our country's many failings and the government stuff I disagree with, I am still appreciative. We have our freedom, live in a fairly safe environment and, most importantly, can express our opinions without fear.


I am thankful for all the men and women who have given their lives to keep our country's values and to give me the life I have. Yes, it's not perfect, but I'm doing OK. I'm also very thankful for all the servicepeople around the world, who are giving of themselves every day to ensure things stay the way they are for us.




It saddens me deeply to see our young men and women being injured (both physically, mentally and emotionally), as well as killed on a daily basis. I long to see them come home. And I'm mad that when they do come home, things aren't better for them. We should be welcoming them back with open arms and giving them whatever support and help they need.








Maybe the best thing I can say is for you to thank a military person or one of their family members not just today, but any day you meet one and, if they don't mind, give them a big hug too.



Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: