Friday, June 15, 2012

End o' week musings

It wasn't a life changing week, but it definitely was an attitude changing one... But more on that later.









Sunday I went to the Langham Huntington, Pasadena for the Diamond Jubilee Tea with my friends Joanne, Linda and Kimi. Joanne wore a huge Victorian gown with a matching bonnet and looked like she stepped out of a history book. Linda was all in lace, from a pink lace dress to a white hat and gloves, very elegant. The fashion plate, though, was Kimi, who wore a hot red dress with a perky black hat and heels- very New York and a nice blend of modern retro. I wore a Victorian gown- cotton with a bit of pattern, my pink rose hat and had my fan handy for vapors-- ha ha ha!




The funniest thing was that I can't remember where the dress came from. I was looking in my closet to see if I had another option than my black velvet hot and heavy Victorian gown I usually wear and the lighter cottony one mysteriously appeared on a hanger! Linda said that I must have a magic closet that will give me just the right outfit for the occasion-- all I need to do is open the door.... perhaps she's right.






The tea was "most wonderous." We had our choice of several different teas-- Kimi and Linda selected chamomille, while Joanne and I opted for the Langham blend, a black tea. We were served a selection of sandwiches, including salmon, shrimp, cucumber and ham with egg. There were scones and poppy seed poundcake slices with jam, lemon curd and clotted cream and yummy desserts, such as creme bruele tart and an almond sweet.




During our tea, Elsa and Susan of the Langham presented me with a book about the hotel and its history with tea. It's charming and beautiful-- thank you ladies!




And the surroundings- wow! The room was lovely with a pianist playing a mixture of music. The big window revealed the lush gardens beyond and the sun shone just right. After the meal, we checked out Chef David's garden, the courtyard and fountain, the gift shop and other spots on the grounds. I highly recommend spending an afternoon in the luxury of the Langham-- it's a mini-vacation! http://www.pasadena.langhamhotels.com/.





I had Elizabethan band rehearsal Tuesday, which was fun and went thrift store junkin' on Wednesday. I snagged an orange-red and black dotted retro style dress and a tiger print blouse to add to my wardrobe for less that I normally pay for one decent office dress and I can wear both to work.





Last night was the Pasadena Chalk Festival VIP party at Paseo Colorado. It was a nice evening and a nice event. The menu featured hamburgers, chips, ice cream, fruit and caramel corn with the bar serving up a bit of everything, plus a signature Fun House cotton candy tasting cocktail.





My table was a mix of journalism people and Doo Dah royalty. The 35th Doo Dah Queen Patrizzi Intergarlactica looked beautiful in a black lace dress with funky, chunky jewelry and her cool crown and supercool extra large sunglasses. Also at the table were former queens Kavita and Erica, both smiles and prettied up for the night. For more on the Chalk Fest, which is June 16 and 17, visit http://www.sgvn.com/ and read my story.





I'm looking forward to Sunday, as I'm planning to go to the Glitter n' Glam Rockfest at the Whisky. There will be performances by Spiders & Snakes and Willow Wisp, but I'll be there to see Rebel Rebel (http://www.rebelrebel.org/ ) . I was in the band for three years prior to my back injury and I miss the guys and the adventures sooo much! It will be great to see them again.












In rotation this week: The Randies, Penny Nichols, Tae Phoenix and The 69 Eyes.












Photos we got 'em: Just a couple of pet pix off the web that made me smile.





Thought o' the week: Friendship is solace. I mentioned my change in attitude this week and it's because I spent the bulk of my weekend with one of my friends, who made me a laugh... a lot. We talked about everything, from our childhoods to our dreams for the future. We vented, we giggled, we wished. It was good.




The more we talked, the more I realized that the weight I have been feeling was lifting and I was beginning to put things back into perspective. I am in a better place, where I am ready to just let things be, let life happen to me for a change, rather than trying to control what I can't.




At first, it seemed weird this week when people were saying "you look pretty today" or "wow, you've lost weight." I don't think I look that different. But I am different. I'm not getting wrapped up in all the things that are troubling me, instead I am pushing everything aside and allowing the happiness to bubble through and it must be showing.






Sometimes the best way to live is to just be in the moment and relish it. And sometimes the only way you can come to terms with reliquinishing your hold on everything is by listening and sharing with a special friend. Friendship is solace.


Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: