Friday, May 9, 2008

End o' week musings

Getting out was the theme this past week.

Saturday I found myself back at the Renaissance Faire (after my cardio and yoga classes, thank you). I had fun introducing my friend, who had never been to faire before, to my friends who own and work at the Tower of London. It's a leathercraft booth, which specializes in bodices and other leather goods- all very nicely crafted. The ToL group gave my friend a bad time, as they felt he had to be "inducted" properly to become "one of us." They dragged him out of the booth in to the middle of the street and made him sing and dance the classic kids' song, "I'm a Little Teapot." He did so well that we applauded and earned some kudos!

We spent the remainder of the day watching shows, shopping and sampling the food and drink. It was a very nice afternoon.

Later that night I headed out to Mike Davis' house for a party. He is the bassist for Dramarama and Halford, as well as the sous chef for the FrontRunner at Santa Anita Park. He always has the most interesting guests and Saturday was no exception. I had many cool conversations and met some neat new people!

Sunday I interviewed Kristina Jacinth. She is the winner of the Young Musicians Competition and will be performing with the Pasadena Commuinty Orchestra in Pasadena on May 16. http://www.pco.org/ Kristina is a talented pianist, a lovely person and strikingly pretty, so you might want to make plans for this concert.

It was Cinco de Mayo Monday, so my buddy Angela and I decided we would celebrate at Mr. T's in Highland Park. Surrender the Pink is doing a month-long Monday night residency there, so they performed, as well as Beatnik Junior, Andrew's Bad Stuff and a few other bands. The vodka tonics were flowing in our group and we all were digging the different grooves. Andrew's Bad Stuff finished the night and the crowd stayed until they were done, so I guess that sums up their set nicely. It's the first time I've seen these local boys since their new lineup and they were quite good... I plan to catch them again soon.



"Mamma Mia!" is currently at the Pasadena Civic and I got to see it opening night!! Wednesday I braved bad traffic, cruddy parking and weird construction to get there-- I did, however, pass on the inconsistent elevator opting for the safety of the stairs. It was all worth it- the show was fun. The music was Abba and presented well, the vocals were wonderful and the dancing was fantastic. It's a very enjoyable production and perfect for a last-minute Mother's Day gift.

Last night instead of staying home with nothing to do, I went with my movie mogul friend Vernor Rodgers (Tickets Please columnist for http://www.dabelly.com/) to see "Iron Man." I enjoyed the film even though it's fluff. There were definitely some tense moments, lots of action and a good sprinkling of humor. The acting was very good-- I think the casting was correct. But don't take my word, read Vernor's review soon....

Tonight I'm off with Cindy (one of my Doo Dah Princesses) to see "Of Mice and Men" at the Pasadena Playhouse. You can read my story about it at http://www.sgvn.com/. And tomorrow is my mother's birthday. I will be taking her to the Huntington in San Marino http://www.huntington.org/ for a bird walk at 8 a.m. We plan to stay there for the day and see the rest of the gardens. I'm hoping I can get her to look around the art galleries too, but she just never seems to get enough of the plants! I plan to finish my day by seeing The Subs playing at the Dockside Grill in West Covina.

I haven't planned out next week's adventures yet, but I do know that I will be interviewing Wreck N' Sow, a funky bluegrass band that plays regularly at the Barn Burner in Pasadena. And on the 17th, I will be dancing at the L.A. Raqs event in Glendale http://www.laraqs.com/, followed by one more Ren Faire trip on the 18th with some of my Doo Dah entourage.... a Queen can never have too much entourage!

Photos we got 'em: Just a few pet pix to make you smile.

In rotation this week: Tenacious D, Story of the Year, Tantric, Tribe of Gypsies, Millencolin, Night Ranger, Megadeth, Judas Priest and Tom Petty.
Thought of the week: Always make it the best. I believe that your attitude really affects the rest of your life. If something doesn't work out, don't whine, figure out what you can do to make it better or what you can do instead. For example, last night I thought I was going to do something with one of my friends, but it turned out he had already promised to help one of his friends with something. Instead of being put-out, I decided that perhaps I would soak in the tub and make it a girlie night, spoiling myself. My happy attitude must have been obvious because just a tad later Vernor asked me to join him for a movie. How could I refuse the opportunity to see a film and discuss it with my favorite critic?! Of course, I went and I had a great time. Karma, luck or just being the "honey that draws flies" ? You decide. But positivity works...

Keep on rockin'
Mickie












No comments: