Friday, September 18, 2009

End o' week musings









It's been a very hectic week, but that's a good thing... especially when you consider the alternative-- sitting at home perusing the want ads...



Last Friday I stayed home. I walked and worked out and went to bed early because I knew the next day would be tiring.



Zaynah joined me for the America the Beautiful Parade at the Los Angeles County Fair. We got to ride on the pirate ship float and toss beads to the crowds as we went along. I got a kick out of the little kids' faces when they caught a strand. After the parade, Zaynah and I wandered through the fair. We went to the Flower Pavilion to see the work done by our friend Louise and managed to find her as well. Louise told us how she spent time glueing seeds to the elephant and giraffe statues in the Africa-themed space and how much time she spends refreshing and caring for the plants each day.


I was hoping to catch Adam Marsland's Chaos Band and perhaps even a bit of Thelonious Dub, as they were playing in venues just down the street from each other, but I was sooo tired. I wavered back and forth trying to decide and then realized that it would be better for me to get some rest than drive to Sierra Madre and be too sleepy to drive back home safely.

Sunday I slept in late and took my mom to the market. While shopping I got a call from Andrew of Andrew's Bad Stuff inviting me to his former guitarist Justin's home for a party. Justin has just started hosting an acoustic music gathering every other Sunday in his backyard. I had a tentative rehearsal set with Ric, my drummer, but figured it wasn't that out the way, so what the heck?! Well, my practice session didn't pan out, but I still got to dance.




I shook my groove thing at the party and everyone got into it. I was surprised because I had all the guests attention-- must have been the swords!





Tuesday I went to Scare School at Knott's Berry Farm for its Halloween Haunt. I learned how to be a seductive, yet creepy vampire in Club Blood. I won't be in the Haunt because class was just part of my story on the upcoming event- darn! But it was pretty cool!! Read my story next week at http://www.sgvn.com/ and for Haunt info visit http://www.knotts.com/


Yesterday I had good news at my health checkup-- my doctor said I'm in good shape and seem to be taking good care of myself as well. I know I still need to lose weight, but I'm working out regularly and trying to be better about what I eat. I was surprised my doc didn't say anything about that... I guess he's saving that for my next appointment!


The rest of my week was filled out with interviews with artist Maryrose Smyth, who will be opening her garden to Art on Palm, an art show and sale in Altadena on Oct. 10, Dana Dunn of the Arcadia Historical Museum (movie buffs should check out its exhibit, "Roll 'Em") and Jyrki, lead singer of The 69 Eyes. Jyrki was extra-cool because I have wanted to interview him for several years, as I love The 69 Eyes! He called me from Helsinki, Finland, where he lives, and we chatted for nearly a half-hour about the band's new album, Jyrki's life and a bunch of other things. The 69 Eyes will be at the Galaxy Concert Theatre in Santa Ana on Oct. 7.


Next week I will be working hard again, but I may sneak down to Haunt opening day Thursday. The 26th is my next big day and here's why:


Los Angeles County Fair Community Performance
featuring Nocturra and drummer Ric Sarabia
12:45 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26
Pepper Street Stage
Fairplex, Pomona

In rotation this week: Orange, Jennings & Keller, Floodland, Drop 8, The Drams, Horrorpops, Ken Waldman and The 69 Eyes.

Photos we got 'em: A great shot from Stuffonmycat.com, a photo of me and Zaynah pre-America the Beautiful parade and a couple of photos by Julie Klima (http://www.julieklima.com/ ) of my Birthday Eve performance at the Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena with drummer Ric Sarabia.

Thought o' the Week: There's nothing like animals. It was such a comfort to fall asleep last night with Atticus (my Jack Russell terrier) curled up by my side. His little snores soothed me into dreamland. But relationships with pets are so much deeper than that.


Atticus really listens to me when I take to him. I'm not saying he understands everything I say, but he pays attention and I think he grasps the tone. When I'm sad, he cuddles up to me and when I'm happy, he wags his tail and might even give a little yip. He also grumbles when he doesn't like something.

I know I'm not alone in my thoughts, as my deskmate Linda often comes in with stories about her Siamese cat Lily, who is such a comfort to her. Lily watches television with her, goes with her on walks and supervises Linda when she gets ready for work in the morning.

Animals give so much and all they want in return is a decent place to sleep, enough food, fresh water and a little bit of love. Have you fussed over you pet today?
Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: