Friday, August 5, 2011

End o' Week Musings




Busy weekend and quiet week... what's my life coming to?! Where's the adventure?!











Saturday I went to Pasadena to interview Daisy Eagan for my story previewing "The Real Love" musical coming to Pasadena later this month. Eagan is the youngest person to win a Tony Award. She was 11, when she won for "The Secret Garden." Eagan proved to be sweet, smart and funny, so we had a very nice interview. She's the kind of chick I'd have fun hanging out with-- too bad we're both sooo busy!






Sunday I joined http://www.dabelly.com/ and http://www.sgvn.com/ movie critic Vernor for "Cowboys and Aliens." Contrary to the many bad reviews it has received, we both enjoyed the film. You have to leave all your preconceived notions and expectations at the door and just go in ready to be entertained. As a fan of westerns (scary, huh?) and sci-fi, I had a good time watching the cowboys use the brains and brawn at their disposal to fight off the invading ETs. I also had a good giggle over the fact that a dog had quite a leading role in the film-- he's in it almost the whole way through. And the horses were spectacular.





I was also impressed that they consulted a real Native American tribe in New Mexico (where the movie was filmed) and had them provide real singing and dancing true to their culture. And the tribe were not a bunch of "savage injuns," but rather, intelligent and ready to fight for their people and land too. Plus their costumes were very good- they had great camouflage for the battle scenes, as their shirts and pants matched the cliffs, much as I would have expected in real life. It was a fun film, worth the early matinee price and I could have even gone with some popcorn if we hadn't already planned lunch at BJ's after.






Sunday evening I went to Poo Bah's in Pasadena to guest on the Tom Coston Martini Hour web radio show. It was fun and a little crazy and there actually were martinis-- with olives! I had a nice time, but then what could be better than hanging out in a real record store-- one with vinyl wall to wall and then some? For me, it was a little slice of heaven.






The Tom Coston Martini Hour can be heard live 6 p.m. Sundays at http://www.poobah.com/ I'm not sure about podcast times, but I do know it is available for you to listen to later if you can't catch it when it originally airs.





I had a very nice surprise Monday. Andrew, one of my music friends, is spending the summer helping his mom out at her home in Fresno. He was enjoying a break at a local watering hole when he gave me a phone call. He said that there was someone in the bar who would like to talk to me and put none other than Brian Kenney Fresno on the phone!






BKF is a phenomenol musician, most noted for his expertise on the Warr guitar and his eclectic performances, which include lots of audience participation. I haven't seen him for a while, but figured he was touring somewhere else. I learned that unfortunately the economy has affected him as well, so he's pretty much sticking around home for his shows.






BKF is very DIY. He writes, records and releases his albums under his own label, Bong Hit Records, as well as arranges his tour schedule. He has to come up with every penny, as he doesn't have any major label support. I know this isn't new or unsual, but what I admire is that he does exactly what he likes without caving to what is mainstream or popular and, by doing so, he has a legion of ardent fans. You can check him out at http://www.bonghitrecords.com/ or find him on MySpace, Facebook and You Tube.




I went to Maggie's in Santa Fe Springs Wednesday with Carin and Tom. After our food and drinks (one Hefeweizen for me), we went for a soak in the hot tub. It was sooo beautiful watching the sun set and the stars coming out to twinkle. I also enjoyed watching Tom's geese, Henri and Gloria, as they nibbled in the grass and then settled down to relish being out under the stars with grass between their toes for the evening. They were so peaceful, it made me relaxed.




This weekend I have a lot of odds and ends to do. I will probably catch the new "Planet of the Apes" movie with Vernor, as that series was one of my favorites to see on TV when I was a kind. I'll also be taking my mother to meet my friend Roc and his friends at the Eddie Money concert at the Burbank Starlight Theater. It should be a good time.




In rotation this week: Queen, David Serby and Gwendolyn.




Photos we got 'em: Pet pictures from the usual places that made me chuckle.



Thought o' the week: Keep positive. I've been a little down lately because we've had more layoffs at work and the economy is so bad. Sometimes I'm so frustrated with everything that I just want to cry, but instead I make an effort to evaluate my life.




I am truly thankful to have a decent roof over my head and food in the cupboard. I've been without both before, so I know how fortunate I am. I'm also thankful for all the good people around me, who support me and give me love. I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to work a job I like and do so many cool things, such as dancing and all my other hobbies.








I am a lucky grrrl and because of that, I plan to keep positive. I am determined to smile, laugh and be kind to others even if I'm having a bad day... their day might be worse. I'm going to keep passing it on, in both small and large ways, at every opportunity. I'm going to remember to say thank you and mean it. I believe by being joyful, I can help others be joyful and the world will be just a little bit better. Are you keeping positive? Think about it and



Keep on rockin'

Mickie




















No comments: