Friday, August 12, 2011

End o' Week Musings














It's been a fairly calm week except for today and yesterday, which have been super busy.









Last Saturday I went to Carin's house with Louise. I was sewing tablecloths and a curtain (which I'm going back to finish tomorrow), while Louise was working with Carin and her dad's photos. The best part of the day was relaxing in the Flamingo Lounge (Carin's back patio) with salmon on bagel crisps and a soda.





Sunday I went with Vernor to see "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." We were both pretty pleased with the film. I'm a big "Apes" fan, so I was worried I wouldn't like it, but the only thing I kinda missed was the hockey ape costumes! I especially liked the end of the movie because it made me want to see more....




In the evening my mom and I went with my friend Roc to the Starlight Theater in Bubank to see Eddie Money and Frank Stallone. It was a decent concert-- the men still have it, as they offered up good shows.





Tuesday I interviewed Liela Avila. She's a vocalist, as well as piano and guitar player and the daughter of John Avila, bassist of Oingo Boingo. Liela is as sweet as she's pretty and she is very talented. We chatted in her dad's studio and then she took me in the house to listen to some of the songs slated for her next album.









The best part was when Liela offered to perform one of the songs she's working on for me. She slid behind the piano and it was magic! Such a nice voice and and great key chops to match! I was impressed and would love to catch her with her band sometime. Liela's at Plate 38 in Pasadena Fridays in August and at Novel Cafe, also in Pasadena, Saturdays indefinately.








Last night I met with my drummer, Ric, to work out our music and start the choreography for our performance at the Los Angeles County Fair. We've selected four pieces to add to Ric's drumming and he will even dance with me during some of them. Ric will also do his singing and drum playing that people seem to really enjoy.




Next rehearsal, I'll be armed with my swords and other props and we'll be cutting the rug for sure!






I just got off the phone with Moya Brennan in Ireland. She's a wonderful singer and harp player and will be coming to Pasadena to perform at Caltech in September. I enjoyed hearing the stories about her childhood in the Irish countryside and performing in her father's tavern. She also shared some of her writing secrets, so I'll have a nice story.











Tonight I'm planning to go to the Everyday Joe Art Show in Glendora. The theme is books and I can't wait to see what the artists have come up with in all the various media they work.








Next week will be busy, but I'm ready for a little excitement... only the happy kind please though!




In rotation this week: Maze, Beat Union, Manisha Shahane, Owl City, Jeffrey Bayless, Terrible Things, Orange Sky, Hasif Nazeri, Kristina Reiko Cooper, Queen, David Bowie, Susie Garcia and no, my ears don't hurt.




Photos we got 'em: A few animal photos from the Web that made me smile and a photo I took of my phone of grapes on a plant in one of my neighbors' gardens- so pretty!





Thought o' the week: Be thankful. When times get tough, it's time to be thankful. I feeling down this week, stressed out because I'm getting a crown on one of my teeth, my car has been acting up and just all the other stuff in life that stinks. Thinking about all this stuff (and other woes) was moving me from sad to a little mad at the world, so I knew I needed to refocus.



I layed down on my bed with the fan on me and the lights off and took a few deep breaths. Next I began reciting all the things I'm thankful for starting with good friends, food in my tummy, a decent roof over my head, a job and so on and so on. Gradually the anger and sadness dissapated and happiness and humility crept in, filling me with appreciation for all the good things in my life. And you know what?! The good stuff outbalanced the bad.



Are you stressed, sad or angry? I don't blame you because it's hard not to be when you hear the news every day... the world is a mess. But before you can fix the world's ills, you have to be in a good place of your own. Try being thankful and



Keep on rockin'

Mickie





















2 comments:

Bobby Boy said...

You're Queen Mickie! Of course you should get a crown. (I'm a commoner and I have one)

Mickie said...

Lol! You always make me laugh Bobby!! Thank you :-)