Friday, June 1, 2012

End o' week musings



I've been keeping myself busy... and I like it that way!






Friday I went with my friend Dean to the House of Blues in Hollyweird to see Civet and The Real McKenzies. It was a terrific show. Civet's lineup has changed, but its sound is as good as ever. There's nothing like some well done grrrl punk to get you going!








I hadn't seen The Real McKenzies before, but I do have a weakness for men in kilts, so I already liked them. These boyz offer up Scottish folk mixed with punk and are amazing. I only have one little beef-- I was standing at the stage right in front of the bagpipe player and he kept putting one foot up on the monitor. I had to avert my eyes and focus instead on his friendly face and the other members of the band... Now, I don't know for sure if he was regimental in his kilt, but I really didn't want to know. But it didn't mar the show for me at all~ in fact, I'd see them again in a heartbeat!



Sunday it was more kilts- woo hoo! I went to the Scottish Festival at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa with my friend Linda and her father. We had a nice time wandering around, shopping, watching the dancing, listening to bands and checking out the guys in the Highland Games.




While there I caught performances by Brother, Sligo Rags and other bands. I haven't seen Brother in ages and their music has evolved, but is still engaging. Sligo Rags plays a lot locally and is always fun.






The rest of my week was pretty quiet, except for the Pasadena Social Media Group meeting this morning. I love learning more about blogging, tweeting and the web!










Next week my big thing will be going to the E3, electronic entertainment, trade show in Los Angeles. I will see the latest stuff, meet celebs in the industry and more. Watch for stories and video at http://www.sgvn.com/




In rotation this week: Argen Luccassen, Heaven and Hell, Civet and Kool & the Gang.




Photos we got 'em: Just a few cute animal pics from the web.





Thought o' the week: This will hurt you. Ever had to do something you didn't want to because you knew it would be painful? Especially if that something was a confrontation with someone, who you knew would be hurt too? I have been stressing out over a needed conversation with one of my friends that will probably break our relationship.




After many tears and sleepless nights, I finally got up my guts and knew it was time to put things on the table. I agonized over just the right way to say everything I needed to say. I even practiced it and wrote it down so I could perfect my delivery. I made sure not to put the person down or be mean or say anything I might regret, but still make my feelings clear.




The day came and I was geared up. Then I learned that something bad had happened in my friend's family. I knew I couldn't go through with things, so instead I told my friend the main gist of what I needed to get out and let it drop. Now I'm left with ends still hanging loose and my friend may not even get what I was trying to convey. Plus, I have to decide whether to pursue this in a few weeks or just let it go.








Why does life have to be so hard? I know I'll be OK and life will be sunny again. It's just that in between time that really stinks. It reminds me of an old "Ren & Stimpy" cartoon where Ren has to go to the veterinarian. The asthmatic chihuahua is sitting on the vet's cold table, shivering and nervous. The vet tells him to read an eye chart on the wall as he stabs him with a needle, which goes clear through Ren's puny arm. The chart reads "This will HURT you." Of course the viewer of the cartoon (me) laughs, as it is all too true....



Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: