Friday, April 5, 2013

End o' week musings

It's been a busy one, but you know I like it that way...

Last Saturday was dress rehearsal for the Renaissance Pleasure Faire at Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale. I donned one of my outfits, grabbed three of my swords and was ready to "rumble." I learned that we have five shows throughout the day, plus two parades, one of which includes yet another band performance. That means I'll be dancing... one, two, three, four.... well, a lot!


The Faire opens tomorrow and I'll be there. I bet I'm going to be tired Saturday night-- a warm bubble bath should do me good... ooo with a candle perhaps and a glass of something nice and a fluffy towel after....

Learn more about the Ren Faire here http://www.dailynews.com/entertainment/ci_22957623/discover-new-talent-at-renaissance-pleasure-faire-irwindale?source=rss

Easter Sunday I didn't do too much. My friend Dean helped me with my computer, cleaning it up and making it run better. He also helped me with setting up my new phone. Yes, I finally broke down and bought a smart phone where I can Tweet and email in addition to the normal phone stuff. I also changed phone plans to one that offers more services for almost half of what I was paying. We'll see how it goes.

I did a lot of interviews this week. I went to the Van Noppen Glass Gallery in Pasadena. It's absolutely gorgeous and amazing I never noticed it tucked in the shops between the Pasadena Playhouse and Zona Rosa! There isn't only glass, there's also paintings, ceramics and more. And surprisingly the art is affordable and the expensive stuff is obviously worth the price. My story about it will publish in a couple of weeks.

I also talked with OfMenAndMonsters, who will be at Coachella, and Leah, the curator of the upcoming "Beyond Brancusi" exhibit at the Norton Simon Museum.

Sunday I'm going to be among the esteemed judges at the queen try-outs for the Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade. See the info on the post below this and check out this story by my friend Terry Miller http://www.pasadenaindependent.com/featured/doo-dah-queen-tryouts-this-sunday-at-american-legion-post-280/


Next week promises more adventures, including doing a dining review, dancing hula and seeing a comedy show- woo hoo!


In rotation: Adrenaline Mob, Owl City, Deleyaman, Brian Marquis and Skinny Lister.

Photos we got 'em: Me and Janis Ian after the concert March 23, me looking silly holding Scratch's acorn in a shopping market parking lot after Ren Faire dress rehearsal and Tea Bird #2 (another of my cell phone photo series). These should make you smile...


Thought o' the week: Dreams don't turn to dust. So goes the lyrics of one of my favorite Owl City songs. There's a lot of interesting issues in the tune, as the singer is telling someone to leave them and that they would rather be alone, yet there's a lot of hope in the lyrics as well.


I think many of us can relate to the song in that sometimes it's better to be alone than to be with the person you love (or think you love). I've been in a few unhealthy relationships (romantic and friends) myself, where as much as it hurt to get out, I knew I was better without the person in my life. There were many reasons we "worked," yet unfortunately some bigger issue that began dominating the relationship that wasn't good for either of us.


Yet "dreams don't turn to dust." I still have faith that love is out there. It may not always be exactly the kind of love you want, but knowing someone truly cares can suffice. Besides it's very unlikely that you'll meet someone who matches all the things on your "list." Plus good family and friends will last even when a relationship fails.


And just because one thing (relationship, job, etc.) doesn't work out, it doesn't mar everything remotely like it. For example I don't understand women who go through a divorce and then hate all men. Not all men are bad, just the guy they chose to marry wasn't up to par. One bad experience doesn't mean you should stop looking, hoping or dreaming.


Have a little faith - in yourself - my friends. Owl City is right-- Dreams don't turn to dust.


Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: