Friday, April 12, 2013

End o' week musings

It's been a happy week, full of fun and a bit of work too just for balance.


Saturday was opening day for the Renaissance Pleasure Faire and everyone was full of energy and ready to go. I danced and played and paraded and danced some more. By the end of the day I was definitely ready to head home-- I was exhausted.


Much to my surprise I was actually able to get out of bed Sunday and get myself together for my judging session at the Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade queen tryouts. It was a long afternoon that ended with new royalty~ all hail Queen Susann!  Next up, the parade on April 26. And there's still time for you to gather your best friends to march down Colorado Boulevard, for more information visit www.pasadenadoodahparade.info


Tuesday Mike Davis and I went to check out the redo of The Royce at the Langham, Huntington Hotel in Pasadena. We both liked the previous chef, Chef David Feau, but were looking forward to seeing what Chef Anthony Zappola would come up with for his signature.


The Royce is now a wood-fired steakhouse with a nice selection of steaks, as well as fish, salads and sides. Watch for our review at www.sgvn.com


Last night I went to see Grant Cotter at the Ice House in Pasadena. He was a terrific emcee for the Vans Warped Tour kick-off party and very entertaining as a standup comedian. If you need a laugh break, I suggest you catch his act.


This weekend it's all Ren Faire all the time. Let's see if I look like the cast of "Walking Dead" on Monday ha ha ha!  And speaking of next week, my "dance card" is filling up fast so I should have a few stories for you.


In rotation this week: Fishtank Ensemble, Hot Water Music and Owl City.


Photos we got 'em: Mr. Pasadena, me and Mike Bingley of KABC radio's "Dining with Dills" at the chicken wing eating contest at Vons in Pasadena last Saturday (The boyz competed, I just cheered) and some photos from Queen Susann's crowing at the Doo Dah tryouts. All photos by my friend Dean Lee.


Thought o' the week: Keep moving. It's the secret to staying young.

After all my dancing this week I have realized that I'm pretty tough. As I go through my various activities, I have noticed that people 10 or more years younger than me (sometimes even only five years younger) can't always keep up with me. They'll do exactly what they have to and once it's done, slog off to sit down - or better - collapse into a chair with a heavy plop and an audible sigh or muttering about their exhaustion. Yeah, I may be a bit tired too, but I make an effort not to complain and instead get a drink of water and sit quietly for a few minutes. Then I'm ready to rumble again.


I'm not bragging, but as you are aware, I deal with back pain and other physical issues, including asthma, every day-- if anyone is "feeling it," it is probably me. It's just that whining and complaining isn't going to make stop hurting, neither is sitting around. The best relief from my pain is to keep moving because it keep me going mentally and emotionally too.


I wonder if all these young whiners will end up using walkers before their time or if their negativity affects other facets of their lives... probably. As for me, I intend to push through the discomfort and grab as much out of life as I can-- with a smile on my face. Want to join me? Start by moving and keep moving...

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: