Friday, May 24, 2013

End o' week musings

It's a good thing I can sleep in for three days~ I'm tired!


Last weekend was the end of the Original Renaissance Pleasure Faire run at Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale and I danced a lot. I was sooo busy with my performances that I couldn't spend time with my friends who stopped by both days nor could I shop or any of the other things I like to do closing weekend. But I did have a great time and will miss my group.


Tuesday I joined the rest of the features staff in our chain of papers in seeking out some of the "best burgers joints you may have never heard of before." I went to Grill 'Em All in Alhambra, which is my personal fave, as it offers a range of amazing gourmet combinations that you won't find anywhere else. I also checked out Gerlach's Grille in Pasadena that another staffer recommended and there it seemed burgers were being sold 3 to 1 of any other menu item. For the complete list with details, maps, photos and some videos, visit www.sgvn.com Monday-- National Burger Day is Tuesday.


I also caught some movies this week. I saw "Star Trek- Into the Darkness" and really enjoyed it. It was a fun romp with some good action and a lot of little things to spark conversation. I also saw "Dark Skies," an alien abduction thriller, which wasn't all that scary as compared to my usual creepy milieu. But I liked it and it makes you think.. what if??


In both movies, the acting was very good. Most importantly, in "Dark Skies" the children weren't annoying, although the parents were occasionally. I also thought the suspense and action was just right, as well as a the humor in "Star Trek." But I'm not a critic... for better reviews, visit my friend and movie critic Vernor Rodgers at www.insidesocal.com/vernorsticket or www.DaBelly.com under Ticket Please. (You can also find him on Twitter @vernorsticket.


Last night finished up my Polynesian/Tahitian dance class session and we have a little break before launching back in. I was a bit worn out and in a little pain when I went, but I decided I would do what I could and if I didn't feel OK, I could leave. Surprise! As class went on I began to feel better. I guess I needed to hula around to loosen things up. I slept well last night and woke up feeling pretty good.


I have no firm plans for Memorial Day weekend, just a few adventure ideas, which suits me fine. I'm hoping to just enjoy, relax and have some fun.


Next week I will be interviewing Bill Cosby and Patti Austin, both outstanding performers with lengthy careers-- should be interesting. On June 1, I have two gigs with SaberSong (my music/dance quartet finally has a name!). We will be playing on the Relay for Life stage at Pasadena High School during Make Music Pasadena at 4 p.m. www.makemusicpasadena.org  and then for the art exhibit opening reception at Colonnade Art Gallery and Studio in Pasadena at 7 p.m. www.colartgallery.com Both shows are free.


In rotation this week: Bjork, Dust, Alice Cooper and Slash.


Photos we got 'em: A fun pet pic from the web, a photo of me and three of my swords at Ren Faire and one of me posing with Turbo the Snail at the movie theater and an update of the flower on my desk, which is now boasting more blooms.


Thought o' the week: Relish surprises. Yes, I know surprises can be good or bad, but it's really your response to them that matters. Humans do not usually like change. We tend to stick to routines, eat the same things, get up the same time and so on. But it's healthy to ruffle things occasionally. It keeps life exciting and makes us think and just be more alive.


What brought this all to mind was actually a small surprise-- my flowers. When I got them there was one dark purple bloom and a sprinkling of curled up greenish buds. Over the week, three buds have opened and turned more purple each time I look. Glancing at my flowers even now I see three more buds slowly opening their green petals.


 Part of this speaks to the resilience of nature, how it goes on whether it's in the soil in a lovely garden or a vase in my office. Just as nature, we toil on despite what happens around us. We deal with changes good or bad, well or poorly. It is our choice how to take change-- we can grumble and worry and fight it and make it really awful or we can embrace it and see how it might make our lives better or how we can learn from it. You choose... you can despise or you can relish surprises. I say relish and

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: