Friday, May 31, 2013

End o' week musings

What a busy week!! But I digress.


The weekend was a much-needed change after weekends and weekends of Renaissance Faire. My friend Dean and I put the top down on my car and cruised Pacific Coast Highway down to Ventura for an afternoon of thrift store junkin'. We didn't buy too much stuff, but we did find a few "treasures."  I found two brand new patterns for my sewing. This time, normal stuff instead of costume and fairly simple.


We took a break at the Busy Bee Diner for lunch in downtown Ventura. The '50s theme was fun and there was a real soda fountain. The food was good too. I had chicken and dumplings and it was very satisfying.


The rest of my weekend was slow and quiet. I even found time to take a nap and get ahead on some of my writing.


Wednesday was a red letter day, as I came in to my office early to prepare for a phone interview with Bill Cosby and there was a message on my phone already. Cosby had called to ask me to phone him earlier than our scheduled time and ended his voicemail with "This message is approved by-- me!" Too cute.  We had a very nice chat. I felt as if I had spoken with my grandfather, yes, Cosby's that warm and friendly.  He'll be in Cerritos for a show later this month.


Continuing my Wednesday excitement was my interview with Stephan Jacobs, a producer and artist in the electronica dance music genre. He has his own style and is super professional, yet still very friendly and forthcoming. I really enjoyed hearing his thoughts on his music career. Jacobs will be on the new electronica stage on the Vans Warped Tour.


Yesterday I was sent on assignment to Knott's Berry Farm to cover the opening of its new Boardwalk rides. There are three now, all very typical of pleasure pier attractions, yet with their own takes. The log ride is also slated to open with its new decor, but it wasn't quite ready so I didn't get a peek.


Looking for something to do this week?  Check out my new online column:
http://www.sgvtribune.com/weekend/ci_23355760/weekend-things-do-san-gabriel-valley-comedy-music


And whether you are going to one of the Bjork concerts or just curious about her, here's my story
http://www.sgvtribune.com/entertainment/ci_23345918/bjork-bring-biophilia-los-angeles?IADID=Search-www.dailynews.com-www.dailynews.com


You can also check back at www.sgvn.com for my stories on Alice Cooper, Marina V and more, slated to be posted today.

I have lots of interviews and lots of fun coming up over the next week. But tomorrow is the big day for me with two gigs with my band SaberSong. We perform a range of music, from traditional Elizabethan tunes to Native American flute songs and bellydance rhythms, accompanied by my dancing with swords, veils and more! 

American Cancer Society Relay for Life/Make Music Pasadena
4 p.m. Saturday, June 1.
Pasadena High School, 2925 E. Sierra Madre, Pasadena
Free
www.makemusicpasadena.com

AND

Colonnade Art Gallery and Studio exhibit opening reception
5-9 p.m. Saturday, June 1, SaberSong performs 7-8 p.m.
2421 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena
Free
www.colartgallery.com



In rotation this week:  Bjork, Hula Monsters, Patti Austin and Stephan Jacobs.


Photos we got 'em: I haven't had my peepers out for good pics this week, so I'm sharing one marvelous one-- a closeup of a cicada at Montecello taken by my friend and band mate Joanne Wilborn.

Thought o' the week: Don't stress.  As you can tell I'm almost overwhelmed by all the things I need to do and have been doing and so on. It's a tad crazy at work and I've been really exhausted as each day ends. What keeps me sane is being very organized and reminding myself to take time to goof off and relax.

Yesterday I was out on assignment all day, then rushed home to write my story so I could have it to my editor this morning. I had more in mind to do, including a sewing project for myself, but I decided I was too tired to do things well and needed to take a break. So instead, I relaxed and watched some television and then fell asleep before 10 p.m. I woke up feeling much better.


Yes, I still have lots to do, but I'm checking my calendar and my priorities (like laundry) and deciding what I can do without and what must be done (laundry) and by when. Getting worked up over everything is not going to make anything get done faster nor easier. Deep breath, what will matter five years from now?, relax...  Plan some fun time in your life to reward yourself for hard work well done. Don't stress and

Keep on rockin'
Mickie





No comments: