Friday, February 6, 2009

End o' week musings

Today is filled with what I like to call liquid sunshine. Yes, it's raining, so no converitble-top-down driving for me... But I love the smell of rain and I like to feel it on my face and I love how everything looks so green and lush after a good shower.

Last Friday I made it long enough to blog and do a bit more and then I had to go home. I was running a temperature and my tummy hurt. I may have had a touch of the flu, but it was just the achy, yucky feeling part- thank goodness! But it was enough to make me miss "Stormy Weather" at the Pasadena Playhouse, so you'll have to stay tuned to http://www.sgvn.com/ for someone else's review.

I slept and slept and slept and some time late Friday night/early Saturday morning my fever broke and I started feeling better. Good thing too because I had an important interview with The Tumbling Tumbleweeds (http://www.thetumblingtumbleweeds.com/ ) in Sierra Madre. This Western quartet has some of the tightest harmonies you've ever heard and they put on a darn fun show. Over the last year they've been racking up a slew of awards and honors. You'll be able to read my story on them next week at http://www.sgvn.com/ - they're playing at the Coffee Gallery Backstage (http://www.coffeegallery.com/) in Altadena on Valentine's Day. Intimate venue, good refreshments and sweet sounds, what more could you ask for?

After our meeting, I went home and slept a tad more and felt a zillion times better, so I gussied up a bit and took a short stroll from my house to Rude Dog in Covina to catch the Redneck Rockstar Tour featuring my friends Trash Daddy (www.myspace.com/trashdaddyband ). First up was Two Buck Chuck who did an acoustic set and held their own. Next was the Prostitute Marys (http://www.prostitutemarys.com/ ) who sure got my attention. They mix rock, glam, punk and a few other things for an upbeat, nothing-held-back, exciting show.
Turns out Prostitute Marys are friends with one of my former bands, Rebel Rebel (http://www.rebelrebel.org/ ), and play with them a lot. Now I've got to catch another one of their shows-- I have to excuse! And the guys can dance too, as they grabbed me up during Trash Daddy's set and kept me on the floor.

Trash Daddy had their "railer park rock" going full-bore, offering up a nice range of tunes and sharing the stage with guests along the way. They're always fun to watch on stage, as they know how to work it and they are truly enjoying themselves... which leaks over and infects the audience, who can't help but have a good time.

Super Bowl Sunday I headed out to Carin and Tom's for the day. We began things with a pancake breakfast and then went to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach for a few hours. I love the aquarium and it's soooo relaxing.... Back home we got the barbecue going, set the TV up outside and played croquet, smoked cigars and imbibed on adult beverages. One of us remained stationed at the game to let everyone know if a good play was coming up or the commercials were coming on. When the sun went down, we went inside and watched some of the game on Tom's huge new HDTV. It was like sitting inside the game! During a quick break, we slipped into our bathing suits and slid into the hot tub, where we watched the end of things.

Tuesday was a great night, as The Screaming Jets were playing a special show at the Key Club in Hollywood. It would mark the first time in 10 years they have played here, as they are based in Australia. While waiting for their arrival, I spoke with D. Henry Fenton (www.myspace.com/dhenryfenton ), a singer/songwriter who is working hard and trying to get some attention. He was very pleasant and his music is pretty good- check him out! Inside I caught the Bangkok Five on stage. I like those rockin' boyz, they put on a high-energy show and give out songs that make you want to move.

The Screaming Jets were really great too. You'd be amazed at their discography and bio, as they've been around quite a while and they're still doing well. We were treated to some tunes from their upcoming release and they were well-accepted by the crowd. If you like your rock served up straight, this may be just the band you've been missing.

I was ready to walk out the door when the emcee announced that Happenin' Harry and the Haptones were on deck. This band is a conglomerate of musicians from a lot of popular established groups (Guns n Roses, Queens of the Stoneage, etc.) and their friends. They rolled out familiar songs like Alice in Chains' "Man in the Box" and GNR's "So Easy" and had me singing along. Speaking of singing, I have to remark on Happenin' Harry's vocals-- this guy can sing! He has an amazing range and captures the tones of the tunes perfectly. I liked the interchange of the musicians too, as it kept you wanting to see who they might bring up next to join them.


Happenin' Harry has two set gigs a week and a bunch of other things going on. You can find out more at http://www.happeninharry.com/
Last night I was talking with Ben McGinty (Gallery at the End of the World), who will be going with me on my vacation cruise about what to pack. He said I needed something for the Captain's Dinner. I offered up a few options, which he didn't like. Ben then said that I should find a little black cocktail dress, something that would make everyone stop and go wow!, something like what Audrey Hepburn wore in "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Well, I don't know if I'll look like her, but I will poke around the shops over the next couple of weeks and see if I can find something that fits the bill..

Good news! My doctor said I can go back to my exercise classes and dancing. I am planning to get up early tomorrow and go to my yoga class. If I feel up to it, I'll stay for the cardio one too. The remainder of my coming week is fairly quiet except for Thursday when I plan to catch the blues jam night at the Route 66 Roadhouse in Duarte. Oh and the HorrorPops will be at the Avalon in Hollyweird on Valentine's Day (and you know I'll be in the front row!).

In rotation this week: W.A.S.P., Orange Sky, "Johnny Cash Remix," These Green Eyes and Blackout 101.
Photos we got 'em: One of my readers who goes by the moniker Doc Holliday sent me some photos from his fishing trips and I decided to share one with you. He does catch-and-release and enjoys fishing contests. Here's a photo of the beautiful Audrey Hepburn in that wonderful dress. Otherwise I have a couple of cute pet picks from StuffonmyMutt.
Thought of the week: Reflection is a good thing. My friend Linda gave me a book to read the other week and it was strange, as it was a memoir, but it could have been my story. The author has been through many of the same things I have and she was looking back at her life to see what may have prompted her to make the bad choices she did and how she could do better.


This got me to thinking that I would use my vacation at the end of this month to begin writing my own book (I may only write it for myself), but after discussing this with several friends, I have decided to heed their advice and use my time to think. I was to reexamine my life, where I've been, where I am and most importantly where I want to go and how I can get there.

I've been really working hard this past year to become a better person and to love and respect myself more. Sometimes it's hard to avoid old habits and feelings and I feel very down. Then I look at how far I've already come and I'm thankful that every day offers the opportunity to learn and grow. Have you taken any quiet time lately for inner-reflection? There's no time like now...

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: