Friday, March 13, 2009

End o' week musings

What a week! I partied, fought a cold and became a computer tech (lol), plus had some great interviews.

Last Friday I danced at McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena for its First Friday Art Club. The place was packed. Zaynah and I shook our groove things to the beats of drummer Ric Sarabia and DJ Aldo. It was very cool because there was a large audience and they had fun with us. We did two sets and then bundled up (it was cold!) to spend the rest of the evening chatting with people and checking out all the art.


I ended up spending Saturday and Sunday back at the gallery. It's just such a great place to hang out. I enjoyed talking with the various artists and guests, helped work the counter, nibbled on barbecue and other goodies from the kitchen and sipped on sangria and bloody Marys. I won a really neat painting of a vintage car and artist Eve Kessler gave me a notecard hand-painted with her favorite fish design (she's a wonderful artist). I also bought a tile that feature an old door by Ben McGinty and a photograph of my float from the Doo Dah Parade by Allister... darn! his last name escapes me right now... but he does amazing black and white photos that capture so many details.

Monday I woke up very ill. I had a sore throat, a headache and was all stuffy. I had to call in sick to work and spent the day in bed sleeping and watching bad TV.

Tuesday I felt a bit better and had to go to work, as I had interviews. I spoke with Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory (www.myspace.com/newfoundglory ). He was very funny and interesting. Here's a cool fact: If Chad wasn't in a band he would probably be working in a movie theater. He loves selling and taking the tickets, popping the popcorn and all the little things that make the experience. NFG is on tour and will be here in two weeks, watch for my story at http://www.sgvn.com/

My other interview was with Stu Venerable of Celtic Squall (http://www.celticsquall.com/ ). This is one of the groups that will be performing at the Renaissance Faire which opens April 4 at the Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale. They will be on stage near the entrance every morning. You should also try to see/hear the Merry Wives of Windsor and the Poxy Boggards. My story on Celtic Squall and the Ren Faire should be available at http://www.sgvn.com/ April 3.




The rest of my week has been quiet, as I've been going home every night and staying in so I can kick this cold~ and it's almost gone yay! But I did have one small adventure last night, as I finally upgraded my home computer from dial-up to DSL. I know, I know, I'm sooo stone-aged! OK, you can stop laughing any time... But I was able to follow the directions and only had to call my special guy twice just to make sure I had done everything right... and I had! I feel sooo smart!! All right, don't take advantage of my bravery with a bad joke, 'cuz I've heard them all. I'm a bit technophobic, but at least I try to work through it...



I'm planning to keep quiet this weekend too so I can get all the way better, but if I truly can't take it any more, I plan to go to the D Club in Azusa for Punk Rock Benefit Two. My friends Demonia are performing, as well as a lot of other great bands. It's all ages and only $10 for music from noon on. There will also be vendors and other things to keep you busy. The show benefits the Mariposa Foundation. For more information visit www.myspace.com/slamdance4life

In rotation this week: Psychostick, assorted reggae music and that's it... I've been too ill to even listen to much of anything :-(

Photos we got 'em: Hope you like this week's selections- two photos my friend sent me in an e-mail and one from http://www.stuffonmycat.com/

Thought o' the week: A little help, please. Yesterday I went back to the doctor for a recheck on my knee. It's still not right. It doesn't lock or give out, but it still hurts when I move sideways, walk up and down stairs and do a few other things. Imaging has shown nothing wrong with my knee, but my doctor agrees that it seems to be taking too long to heal from just a strain, so he's sending me to physical therapy. Hopefully they can show me what to do to make it stronger and evaluate my movements and exercises so that I'm not causing further damage.

This is a bit hard on my psyche, as I'm a strong person usually when it comes to pain. When I first hurt my knee (running track) I was teaching a dance class and had to wear a brace that ran from mid-thigh to lower calf. I would go to the class, take off my leg brace, teach, put the brace back on and go home. Yeah, it hurt, but did I complain or give in? No! This time around I've been really frustrated and down, but I'm going to get back to my old self soon... I just need a little patience and a little help.

So why am I sharing all this? Because it's not weak to take a little help sometimes nor to admit that you can't conquer something on your own. Whether it's an injury that won't heal or a broken heart or even moving to a new house, we all need someone beside us from time to time to give a kind word, advice or some muscle-power. Don't ever feel ashamed to ask for help. Yeah, I'm guilty of that one in a big way, as I hate to ever admit I'm not strong enough, smart enough, whatever... Yet still, I know when to finally speak up. This doesn't mean to take advantage of other people's good natures~ and you should be willing to repay the help of someone if you can (especially when it comes to listening and moving). OK, I'm rambling now... a little help, please...

Keep on rockin'
Mickie






No comments: