Friday, July 15, 2011

End o' Week Musings









Gee, I feel like I've been writing my life away this week! So many deadlines and so much to do, but I'm getting through it story by story...



Last Saturday I joined my friends Carin, Tom, George, Laura and Meghan for Esotouric's Black Dahlia crime bus tour. It wasn't just the story of the unsolved murder of Elizabeth Short, but we also learned about her life, life at the time period in the Los Angeles area, possibly related murders, architecture and more.



The Biltmore lobby, where we met for the tour, is amazing! The decor is stunning and the design and painting of the ceiling is esquisite. I also really liked the patio and pool area of Hotel Figueroa- it was very surprising, as the place doesn't look all that from the street.




Strangley though, I was the most tickled by our stop for coffee and donuts just after visiting the dumpsite of Short's boday. It seems odd to be nibbling on sweets while graphically discussing murder... yet somehow it's OK... To find the next Black Dahlia tour or another of Esotouric's fun and educational tours, visit http://www.esotouric.com/.



On Sunday, Carin, Tom, Meghan and I spent the day at the Huntington Library, Galleries and Botanical Gardens in San Marino. We spent a lot of time in the galleries and could have spent more! Carin liked seeing "Pinky" and "Blue Boy," while Tom was all about the light bulb display in the Light exhibit in the Science Center. Meghan definitely enjoyed the beauty of the Chinese Garden (I'm sure my gleeful exclaimations of "Look there's another one!" every time a koi fish swam near the surface of the lake didn't help though).





We all agreed that the painting "Unseen and Unseeing" in the pre-Raphaelite exhibit was especially intriguing-- we even discussed its use of symbols and possible alternate meanings on the way home. Plan a wonderful day at http://www.huntington.org/







On my way to work Monday I stopped in at 7-11 for my free Slurpee. I had blue raspberry and it was yummy. I do stop in for Slurpees occasionally, but I need to enjoy them more often...




The rest of my week was pretty blah, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I'll be busy over the weekend. My mom and I are going to see the "Harry Potter Tribute Art Exhibit" at Gallery Nucleus (http://www.gallerynucleus.com/ ) in Alhambra and also swing by Wing Hop Fung, a store that has everything from kitchen utensils to Chinese medicinal herbs, plus tea and wine. We also need to do shopping errands and I need to - ugh - clean my house.


In rotation this week: Gwendolyn, David Serby, Tom Petty, The Randies and Ancient-Future.


Photos we got 'em: Some cute pet pictures from the Web and a lovely photograph of Chaos the German Shepard, who belongs to my co-worker Staff Reporter Brian Day ~ thanks for sharing Brian, you can add a little Chaos to my blog any time!


Thought o' the Week: Instead of my usual pep talk or rant, I would like to brag. My co-worker Linda Alquist did something really special this week- gave her timeto help others. I can't say it better myself so here's her letter:


****
Dear Friends and Family,


I walked a marathon and a half this weekend in San Francisco for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and your generous donation made it all possible! 39.3 miles, 87,997 steps, 2,451 calories burned over 2 days to raise money to help find a cure! My team raised more than $10,000 of the $4 million achieved this weekend.


I can't thank you enough for your wonderful support for this important cause. I walked in memory of my sister-in-law Kelly and in honor of those of you who have been touched by breast cancer in your lives. It was an emotional and uplifting experience and like Santa Barbara last year, has inspired me to participate in all nine Avon Walks across the country. I have already registered to do walk #3 in Boston on May 19-20, 2012.


Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. I couldn't have done it without you:)



With love,
Linda


P.S. Here I am on Day 2 at the Finish Line!





***



I'll add that I supported her, not only with a donation, but by telling her how proud I am of her.


Linda told me that she's already signed up to do the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Boston next year and plans to do a different city where it's held each year until she's done them all~ you go, grrrl!!



On that note, I'll leave you with an opportunity to consider what you can do to make the world a better place.


Keep on rockin'

Mickie

2 comments:

Bobby Boy said...

You mentioned the light bulb display at the Huntington--I too have found it fascinating, especially the double-ended light. I even posted a photo of it on a railway history website to see if anyone could supply more details about this weird device. Although not as well known as his electric railway ventures, Mr. Huntington also owned Pacific Light & Power, which he founded to supply "juice" to his trolley lines. In 1917 he sold it to Southern Calif. Edison. It's said that this divestiture was in part to have more funds to support his library and art collection. A bit of local trivia is that even when the City of Los Angeles DWP bought out the Edison facilities within city limits, SCE still supplied power to all parts of the Pacific Electric and Los Angeles Ry. systems until the last trolleys ran in 1963.

Mickie said...

I'll put you in touch with Tom, he's the light bulb expert and quite a music afficiando too. I bet you boyz will hit it off!

Happy weekend!!