I'd like to add one of my "favorite tunes to cry to" - "Been Here Before" by Terrible Things. Happy Valentine's Day & keep on rockin' ~ M
Not everyone equates Valentine's Day with red hearts and roses. For those that have not found cupid to be so kind, February 14 can be a reminder that sometimes, love really can suck. This fact has not been lost on pop musicians; for every whimsical song about love's dizzying highs, there's a woeful tune referencing its heartbreaking lows.
Ranked by their performance on the Billboard Hot 100 chart from its inception in 1958 to Feb 11, 2012, each song is included based on its lyrical content. Every song celebrates the darker side of love: heartaches, breakups, lying, cheating, unhealthy obsessions and general relationship dysfunction.
The Top 10 Heartbreak Hits are as follows:
1. Mariah Carey “We Belong Together”
2. Toni Braxton “Un-Break My Heart”
3. Jewel “Foolish Games”
4. The Police “Every Breath You Take”
5. Boyz II Men “End of the Road”
6. Adele “Rolling in the Deep”
7. Timbaland featuring OneRepublic “Apologize”
8. Ace of Base “The Sign”
9. Marvin Gaye “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”
10. Whitney Houston “I Will Always Love You”
To see the full list, check out Billboard.com: