Friday, December 18, 2009

End o' week musings

Woo hoo! I can enjoy the weekend, as all my holiday shopping is done and my house is relatively clean.

Last Saturday I went to the Altadena Merchants' holiday event on North Lake. The rain was horrid, but I decided to brave it, as I wanted to see my friends. I visited the galleries and hung out in the bicycle shop sipping hot chocolate while waiting for the rain to ease up because I wanted to sled down the hill in the alley. Snow had been brought in, but everything was covered up to keep it from being ruined by the rain.




Finally, we got a break and dashed out to have some fun. Kids and adults were sliding down as quickly as they could and having a great time. Then it started to rain again, so most of the adults headed over to the nearby bar. I stayed with two of the guys to help with the kids who were having even more fun. I went down the hill a few times myself. What a nice evening!




This week I've been heading straight home from work every night. I still have a bit of a cough and am going to the doctor today. I haven't neglected my working out, though, and have been going for my walks and doing my weights and other exercises.


I had some great interviews this week. I spoke with Tim Eriksen, a phenomenol traditional American folk vocalist. He helped with the music and provided some as well for "Cold Mountain." Very nice guy and very interesting.

I also spoke with Jason Aaron Goldberg, a playwright. One of his plays will be featured in the Hothouse Series at the Pasadena Playhouse this season.

Tom Boyd, a famous oboe player, and I had a good chat. His grooves can be heard in a ton of film scores, commercials and on albums and he still finds time to play out. He will be performing with pianist Marcelo Cesena at Villa Gardens in Pasadena on Sunday.

Lastly I talked which Julian Shah-Taylor about his upcoming EP and album. He is quite the musician and packs a lot into his songs. You should check him out because he's gaining popularity in leaps and bounds.

I also got out of the office to see "Gaze" at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena. It's a portraiture exhibit and it's very good. The artists include Picasso, Warhol, Cezanne and more.

This weekend I will be going to a holiday party at my friend Byron's sisters' house. There will be a lot of good food and I'm sure a lot of laughter.

In rotation this week: Thuzee, Sonic Youth, Red, Little Joe y La Familia, Janus and Test Your Reflex.


Photos we got 'em: Just a couple of pet pics from the usual places.


Thought o' the Week: Laughter. Yes, it's a good thing and there's not enough of it. When was the last time you had a really good laugh? I mean the out and out hold-your sides-because-they're-hurting and your eyes are watering too kind of laugh. It feels good and it's so cathartic.


OK those kinds of laughs are far and few between, but a little chuckle several times a day is a good thing too. And laughter can be nicely contageous. Share a funny story with your co-worker or someone in your world today. It's healthy and we all need a little levity in our lives.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: