E1 Music has announced April 6, 2010 as the release date for THE 5 BROWNS IN HOLLYWOOD, the highly anticipated new classical CD by virtuosic piano prodigies and siblings, The 5 Browns. Alongside the new release, continuation of their extensive national tour will begin on April 8, 2010 in Kirksville, MO and plays nationwide throughout the spring.
Inspired by some of Hollywood’s leading films and scores, THE 5 BROWNS IN HOLLYWOOD meshes the worlds of classical music and cinema with arrangements representing a diverse collection of world famous films that range from classics such as The Wizard of Oz, To Kill a Mockingbird and Psycho, to the more recent Atonement, The Hours, and Catch Me If You Can. A full track list is below.
THE 5 BROWNS IN HOLLYWOOD includes works by renowned composers Bernard Herrmann, Harold Arlen, Richard Rodgers, Alan Menken and Philip Glass, among others. Whether they take on Psycho from the Herrmann/Hitchcock medley in a relentlessly driving, heavily dissonant piece that sets nerves on end or Dario Marianelli's work in Atonement where the score excerpts open and close with the slow, sad music associated with the tragic love affair between an aristocratic Englishwoman and a commoner, The 5 Browns dazzle with their complex compositions.
THE 5 BROWNS IN HOLLYWOOD is the first release from the quintet for E1 Music and showcases their lifelong love of cinema.
“We’re really excited about this album because we’ve always been film fanatics,” says Desirae Brown.
Her sister Melody agrees, adding that “the reason this album is so fun to listen to is because you’ve heard the film music so often, but now it’s being performed in a totally new way. I mean, when have you ever heard it done with 5 pianos?”
UTAH-BRED. JUILLAIRD-TRAINED. UNIVERSALLY AWESOME.
The 5 Browns - Ryan, Melody, Gregory, Deondra and Desirae were born and raised in Utah and were piano players since early childhood. When Desirae began to plan for college – Deondra, a year younger, decided to accelerate her education in order to attend with her sister – the family began looking into music schools and scholarships before deciding upon New York’s Juilliard School. One year later when Gregory, Melody and Ryan were accepted to Juilliard, they became the first family of five siblings ever accepted simultaneously and so the entire Brown family, along with their five pianos, packed their bags and moved east.
After their decision to join forces, The 5 Browns quickly took the classical world by storm with their hip personalities and fresh takes on classical standards – thus turning out three studio albums, Browns In Blue (2007), No Boundaries (2006), and The 5 Browns (2005) that all went to #1 on Billboard Magazine’s Classical Album Chart.
THE JACKSON 5 ROCKED MICROPHONES. THE 5 BROWNS ROCK PIANOS.
The young piano virtuosos enjoyed their first wave of critical attention in February 2002 when People magazine dubbed them the "Fab Five" and at about the same time they were featured on Oprah and 60 Minutes. Entertainment Weekly says the five pianists “…all play scorching piano.
Thundering down on five Steinways together, they're button-down cute and somewhat otherworldly.” Most recently, they were tapped by New York designer Zac Posen to play at his fall 2009 runway show at NYC’s Fashion Week in Bryant Park. The 5 Browns are published writers. Their book, “Life Between The Keys” was published by Phoenix Books in March 2009.
They have performed in numerous venues worldwide, including the Grand National Theater in China, Suntory Hall in Japan and, in the United States, The Kimmel Center in Philadelphia, Symphony Hall in Chicago and Alice Tully Hall in New York City and in will continue their extensive touring in the following cities:
THE 5 BROWNS IN HOLLYWOOD
2010 NATIONAL SPRING TOUR DATES:
April 8 - Kirksville, MO
April 9 & 10 - Overland Park, KSApril 13 - Courtland, VA
April 15 - Columbus, OH
April 17 - Milwaukee, WI
April 30 - New London, CT
May 1 - New York, NY
May 4 - Harrisburg, PA
May 14 – Spokane, WA
THE 5 BROWNS IN HOLLYWOOD is available for purchase in stores nationwide in addition to iTunes and Amazon beginning April 6, 2010.
The 5 Browns are exclusive Steinway Artists.
THE 5 BROWNS IN HOLLYWOOD TRACK LIST
1. John Williams: Star Wars: Suite for Five Pianos – arr. Greg Anderson 9.39
2. Elmer Bernstein: To Kill a Mockingbird: “Main Title” – arr. Patrick Russ (Desirae Brown and Deondra Brown) 3.03
3. Greg Anderson: “Over the Rainbow” [Based on themes from The Wizard of Oz composed by Harold Arlen] 8.20
4. Scott Joplin: “Solace” (A Mexican Serenade) from The Sting (Gregory Brown) 7.09
5. Greg Anderson: “Three Waltzes for 5 Browns” (Disney Movie Medley) [based on themes by Frank Churchill: “Some Day My Prince Will Come” from Snow White; Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman: “Chim Chim Cher-ee” from Mary Poppins; Alan Menken: “Gaston” from Beauty and the Beast] 7.26
6. Philip Glass: The Hours: “Morning Passages” (Ryan Brown) 5.45
7. Richard Rodgers: The Sound of Music: “My Favorite Things” – arr. Stephen Hough (Melody Brown) 2.49
8. Dario Marianelli: Atonement – arr. Greg Anderson 4.45
9. John Williams: Catch Me If You Can: “Opening Credits” – arr. Jeffrey Shumway 2.41
10. Nino Rota: Romeo and Juliet: “A Renaissance Timepiece” – arr. Patrick Russ (Desirae Brown and Deondra Brown) 3.29 Bernard Herrmann: Hitchcock Movie Suite – arr. Patrick Russ
11. Psycho: “Prelude” 2.00
12. Vertigo: “Scene d’amour” 3.24
13. North by Northwest: “The Wild Ride” 2.25