Friday, September 10, 2010

End o' Week Musings


I'm sooo tired! I long for a long, lazy afternoon with the sunlight streaming in my window just so and the fan moving just the right amount of air to make things comfortable for a good nap. If you're surprised, then read what I've been doing...





Friday I continued my birthday weekend at McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World (http://www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com/ ) in Altadena, where I danced with my drummer Ric. The crowd was awesome, as they got into the fun of daring me how many swords I could handle. They liked us so much that we did two sets, even though Ric was a little under the weather.... and he rocked!










There was a nice range of art on display- paintings of all kinds, ceramics, assemblage, collage, jewlery and more. Adding to the night, one of my favorite bands played- Wreck N Sow. I just love those guys! They take bluegrass and turn it up a notch with wonderful stage presence, bad jokes and encouraging the crowd to dance, clap and sing along. They even called me up to sing me "Happy Birthday" and sang an orginal verse just for me about dancing with swords! Check them out at http://www.wrecknsow.com/ or visit them on Facebook.




Saturday I headed out to Bellflower to spend the day with my foster parents, Carin and Tom. As soon as I parked I heard the honking of geese Henri and Gloria and as I went past the gate I caught Gloria standing on Tom's lap to be petted. I couldn't resist snapping their photo!











Champagne was waiting for me at the "Flamingo Lounge and Tiki Bar," so the three of us (Tom was now gooseless) sat at the table, where Carin and Tom gave me some gifts- a nice card with a picture of a cat much like their Tuffy, gift cards for four different places and a beautiful ring with a blue stone (aquamarine or topaz).




The ring was made by Carin's father Obie, with whom I have a special relationship. Whenever Obie was in town, I would be his date for any events we attended, such as the Hollywood Bowl. I would tease him about being his girlfriend and he would always have a good supply of his own jokes to make me laugh. Obie now has Alzheimer's, but the humor still peeks out when I visit him and he always seems happy to see me. So the ring is a wonderful memory of someone important in my life.





Later my special guy showed up and we ate grilled steaks, corn and beans and sipped on champagne with strawberries. Dessert was red velvet cupcakes! I couldn't resist joking that I have had my required toxicity for the day and that when I die, it will be blamed on the red food coloring.... I'm sure, well I hope, that it's really OK.






We swam in the pool and played Nerf football- while smoking cigars and drinking more champagne. Dinner was at Stox, where I had prime rib with a big baked potato and veggies, plus a dirty martini. Yeah, I was feeling pretty good, but I wasn't driving. Back at the house, we hot tubbed and I sobered up- good food, lots of water and time. All told, it was well past midnight before I journeyed home.




It was officially my birthday. I woke up to a phone call of good wishes from a friend, which was followed by more from others. How nice! Angela came over and brought me a Birthday Princess tiara that I was to wear for the day, along with a martini glass emblazoned with "Another year of fabulous" to complete my ensemble and a couple of other gifts. We went out to Pasadena and watched a little baseball in the park. The team greeted me by singing and Widget, the Westie, gave me a sweet kiss.



Next it was back to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World for the closing. We gave all the art another look, nibbled on the refreshments and chatted with the artists and Gatekeeper staff. It was very relaxing. GATOW curator Ben gave me a Doo Dah-perfect necklace- laminated paper jewels stung on a length of beads-- way cool and way cute!



In the evening, my friend Byron took me to dinner and we laughed a lot!




Monday I met Vernor for our traditional birthday lunch and Pizookie at BJs. A Pizookie is a big cookie served hot in a round tin plate and topped with vanilla bean ice cream. Then we went to see the film, "Fipped." It was good, a little sentimental, with wonderful cinematography.



The remainder of my week has been busy with interviews - The Byrds Collective, Helicopter, Tom Norris curator for the Norton Simon Museum and Bob Fisher of the Ice House, along with Bob Stane of the Coffee Gallery Backstage. I've also had dance practices alone and with Ric.




Tonight I plan to go to the Fret House in Covina to catch Daryl Hernandez playing classical guitar. Tomorrow I'm joining Carin and Tom and their relatives for an Esotouric tour (http://www.esotouric.com/ ) and Sunday is dance day:


Nocturra & Ric

at the Los Angeles County Fair

1:45-2:15 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 12

Community Stage

Building 4

Fairplex




In rotation this week: Jeffrey Bayless, Sting, Tribe of Gypsies, HorrorPops and Brian May.








Photos we got 'em: Ric and I performing Friday courtesy of artist Lynne McDaniel (http://www.lynnemcdaniel.com/ ), Tom and Gloria, Obie's ring, my Disney birthday card and a new computer virus warning (lol!).









Thought o' the week: Simplicity. Did you ever think you could learn something from a dog? Well, Widget the Westie could teach all of us a thing or two. Widget knows his place in the world and he is content.



Widget's a follower. He holds back and lets his friend Brownie ( a possibly Beagle-mix mutt) take the lead. When they run after a squirrel, it's Brownie who crawls under the fence to pursue it, while Widget stands on the other side cheering him on.




Widget's a people-pleaser. He greets everyone with a big for his little tail wag and a bright smile. He also loves doling out kisses on the shins of anyone he can reach. He also relishes putting his paws on my knees and when I bend to pet him, giving me a good lick across the face.



Widget rests. He is happy just to find a spot on the grass to lay on his tummy, head up and watch all the action going on. It might only be until he finds something more exciting to do, such as run around with Brownie, but he is soaking it all in- the shade, the sun, the smells, the noises, all the good doggy stuff.


What does this teach us? We should thrill at the joy of living, be happy to meet new people and see old friends, support others and don't mind giving them the spotlight and take time just to be. Good lessons from a sweet little pup.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie


















2 comments:

Tom said...

Thank you for the picture. / Gloria and Tom.

Mickie said...

You're welcome. Hugs and grasshoppers to you!
;-m