Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Comedienne Kelley Williams in Pasadena July 27 and 28

KELLEY WILLIAMS will be presenting her one woman comedy show titled, LOVIN’ CHOCOLATE on Friday, July 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm and Saturday, July 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm at PORTICOS ART SPACE located on the campus of the St. James United Methodist Church at 2033 E. Washington Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91104. Tickets are $10.00. Doors open 30 minutes before show time.



"What if you were alone in your room, where no one could hear you, no one could see you? What would you say? Who would you muster up the strength to talk to? A young woman named Chocolate, alone in the sacredness of her room sheds the secrets of her soul and encounters her inhibitions. Here, in her room, she embarks on a timeless journey challenging the notions of authenticity of Blackness."

- Kelley Williams, Comedienne/Actor



Born in Los Angeles and raised in Altadena/Pasadena, KELLEY WILLIAMS graduated with degrees in World Religion and Acting. She has traveled the world and has been drawn to the power of her own personal truth by way of discovering the struggles of her ancestors, her fellow black men and women and her own personal “Blackness.”



KELLEY WILLIAMS says of her show, “LOVIN’ CHOCOLATE” is my struggle for my liberation, the liberation of an essential aspect of myself. Chocolate is closely based off of my own experiences, my life and the women that have shared a very different experience than me.”



Kelley continues, “Lovin’ Chocolate” is a journey, an exploration of not solely Blackness, but “self.” I didn’t realize or even think that “Lovin’ Chocolate” would have an emotional effect on anyone except Black women. That’s who I wrote it for. It wasn’t until after my first performance of the show that a young white woman said to me with tears in her eyes ,” I know that you wrote this piece for Black women but I was deeply touched by your words and I felt like you were speaking to me. I know what it feels like to not love the woman in your mirror.” I was speechless, left completely humbled. I didn’t realize that in telling my story, in speaking from my pain, my struggles, my joys and my life, all kinds of people could relate regardless of their skin color, age, gender, etc.”



LOVIN’ CHOCOLATE will be presented on Friday, July 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm and Saturday, July 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm at PORTICOS ART SPACE located on the campus of the St. James United Methodist Church at 2033 E. Washington Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91104. Tickets are $10.00. Doors open 30 minutes before show time. For more information or to buy tickets go to www.porticosartspace.org/ or call (323) 333-2487.

No comments: