Friday, November 23, 2007

End o' week musings


I hope everyone is recovering for all those second helpings of Thanksgiving dinner... I ate a tad more than usual and enjoyed sweet potatoes rather than dessert... mmmmmm! This has been one of the most exciting and extraordinary weeks of my life. If you haven't been keeping up on my blog or haven't caught any news lately-- I was crowned Queen of the 31st Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade! And my phone and e-mail has been crazy!

Normally the queens have a short one to three week reign from try-outs to the parade, but this time the parade isn't going to be held until Sunday, Jan. 20. Therefore, I am going to make the most of this opportunity by attending as many different things that I am invited to and spreading the spirit of Doo Dah far and wide. For those of you unacquainted with the Doo Dah Parade, I recommend that you visit http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info/ and for more on the try-outs and my coronation, visit http://www.sgvn.com/ and select any paper, then scroll down to the Photo Galleries and Audio/Video boxes and pick Doo Dah and get a peek at my experiences last Sunday.
Gee, what else have I done this week? Hmmm... I had dance practice, band practice and pajama yoga (a special yoga class to get us super relaxed for the start of the holiday season). Yesterday I visited my mom and my brother and then went to friends Dahlia and John's for dinner. Wow! What a spread! Dahlia couldn't even fit all the dishes on the table and there was all kinds of things to pick from. I went for the things I don't usually make, as well as healthy choices, such as fruit and salad. It was wonderful- thank you Dahlia and John.

Tonight I will be going to the Dockside Grill in West Covina with my friend, Linda, to see The Subs. Tomorrow I may catch another friend's show. Monday I have band rehearsal and I'll have a dance practice in there somewhere.



On Thursday, I will be making a regal appearance at a Doo Dah bash that is open to all. Valerie and I will do a short dance performance- with swords of course! Here's the skinny:

Pasadena Doo Dah Queen Party and Pre Doo Dah Soiree
8 p.m. Nov. 29
Hyperion Tavern
1941 Hyperion
Silverlake
Free

If you come, please introduce yourself.

In rotation this week: Spider Rockets, Otep, Lillian Axe, Sarah McLachlan, "I'm Not There" soundtrack, Brides of Destruction and 69 Eyes.
Thinking over the week, I have decided that sometimes nice people finish first. I'm not a pushy person and I try to let others know how much I appreciate them. I think my effort to be considerate of others and to be truly a nice person has kept me in the runners-up group of the Doo Dah court for five years and my sincerity and persistance has finally given me the crown. Yes, it may take time to get others to accept you and you may not always get what you want, but you can sleep at night knowing that you did right in the world... and sometimes you are recognized. But you shouldn't be nice hoping for something back, you should be nice because that's what is in your heart. And if you receive a kindness or opportunity back, then you should use that to spread your compassion and love of life and others even further.

Keep on rockin'
Queen Mickie












No comments: