Nat Geo Music's Best of 2007
It's that time of year again, when music critics cast back through their teetering piles of new releases to come up with their annual 'best of' lists. This year the Nat Geo music team scoured the globe to come up with our favorite releases from around the world, from Belize to Harlem.
1. Andy Palacio "Watina" - Cumbancha RecordsAndy Palacio is a bona fide pop star in his native Belize, but in 2007 he turned in "Watina," a stunning record that explores the roots music of his Garifuna heritage.
2. Manu Chao "La Radiolina" - Nacional RecordsManu Chao, the godfather of Latin Alternative music, returned in 2007 with "La Radiolina," his first new studio album in six years.
3. Angelique Kidjo "Djin Djin" - Razor & Tie RecordsAfropop diva Angelique Kidjo also resurfaced in 2007, with the extraordinary, star-studded "Djin Djin," which featured performances from Carlos Santana, Josh Groban, Alicia Keys and more.
4. Ojos de Brujo "Techari" - Harmonia MundiBarcelona-based musical collective Ojos de Brujo took home a Latin Grammy for their unique blend of hip-hop and flamenco on "Techari."
5. Spanish Harlem Orchestra "United We Swing" - Six Degrees RecordsNew York's own Spanish Harlem Orchestra rocked an album full of old school salsa classics and brand new favorites with "United We Swing."
6. Habib Koite "Afriki" - Cumbancha RecordsMalian singer/songwriter Habib Koite connected the dots between West Africa and the American blues on "Afriki."
7. CeU "CeU" - Six Degrees RecordsCeU emerged as more than the latest
8. Mickey Hart & Zakir Hussain "Global Drum Project" - Shout FactoryEx-Grateful Dead drummer and Indian tabla master Zakir Hussain team up again to deliver the long-awaited sequel to their 1991 Grammy-winner "Planet Drum."
9. Ricardo Lemvo "Isabela" - Mopiato MusicCongolese singer and bandleader Ricardo Lemvo released this indie gem chock full of hip-shaking African rumba, soukous and more.
10. Bole2Harlem "Bole2Harlem" - Sounds of the MushroomWhat happens when you take an Ethiopian rapper and an American producer and let them loose in New York City? "Bole2Harlem" - one of the best world music records to come out of nowhere in 2007.