Friday, December 11, 2009

End o' week musings















I know, I know, you're saying, "Where have you been?" Unfortunately it was no more exciting that my bedroom, laying in bed sick as can be. Yes, I was wearing cute pajamas, but that didn't change things for me stricken with the creeping crud.


Most of last week I hid out from the world, sleeping, drinking juice and trying to get healthy. This week I've been laying low trying to get all the way better. It's been a long two weeks. However it wasn't without a little bit of adventure here and there.



Last Friday I dressed warmly and made it out to the Gallery at the End of the World to shake my groove thing. I kept the set short and bundled up as soon as I was done. The crowd enjoyed my sword work and I was thrilled with all the art. It was a nice evening.


Saturday I went to the Fret House in Covina for my story on the House of Rock program, which helps kids (ages 10-17 this session) learn how to work in a professional band situation. I was doing a followup on the program and it's amazing how much it has blossomed. The musicians are terrific too. The director, Daryl Hernandez, invited me to grab my Doo Dah crown and walk in the Covina Christmas Parade with the group that evening.



How I love a parade! So you know I couldn't resist! I trundled back home, coated myself with glitter, added a scarf and gloves and met the group at the House of Rock float. Some of the kids were going to be playing on the float as it went down the street while the rest of us waved and walked.




It was a long and splashy parade. Maybe not quite as fantastic as the Rose Parade, but certainly one of the better city parades I have ever been in. My mother came out to watch and gave me the "school bus wave" as we passed her.



The route was decently long and ended up at the local high school parking lot. Daryl spotted a food booth across the street and we went over for freshly made potato chips to hold us over before we could head back to the Fret House. Yummy!


Tuesday I went to the Norton Simon to speak to the curator of its current Rembrandt exhibit. It consists of portrait etchings and is quite interesting. If you go, be sure to see the portrait exhibit in the downstairs gallery-- very intriguing.


My mother and I are going to do some holiday shopping this weekend, as well as make candy for her friends. Linda loaned me some really cute molds for chocolates and I have a good fudge recipe, plus we're going to dip pretzels in chocolate.




Saturday there is going to be a holiday festival with shopping, music, snow and more on Lake Avenue in Altadena in between Mariposa and Altadena from 6-10 p.m. I'm planning to get out there and join in the fun.


In rotation this week: Janus, Grant Langston, the HorroPops and Ken Waldman.


Photos we got 'em: Cute pet pics from the Internet, plus a photo of reader Bob Davis playing keyboards with Adam Marsland's Chaos Band and one of the Surf-Liners featuring Bob's daughter Vicky Davis on Mosrite bass, Don on drums, and John Moore, Jr. on Mosrite guitar.




Thought o' the Week: Nice counts. I may not have a lot of money, but I have a lot of love and I understand the power of spreading it around. Friday night when I was at the gallery I noted how cold it gets there and I wanted to do something for the people who had made me feel so welcome. I had this stuck in my mind Saturday while shopping with my mother and I happened upon a selection of scarves that were so affordable I could buy as many as I wanted. I took my time choosing out just the right one for each person. Thick, warm wool scarves for the guys and pretty patterned cotton or woven ones for the girls.


Sunday I sashayed into the gallery with a bag on my arm and, as the more it emptied, the better I felt. Each time I placed a scarf around my giftee's neck I said, "Here's a hug from me." They were charmed. And they were warmed too, as it was still quite chilly. It was sweet how each one wore the scarf proudly and compared theirs with the others, proclaiming theirs the best. It was a little thing, but it made a big impact because it was from the heart.



I'm not recounting this story for a pat on the back, but rather to inspire you to remember those who have touched your life in some way. You don't have to spend money on fancy gifts, your words of appreciation are often special enough. But take the time for them~ not just this season, all the year through!


Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: