Friday, August 19, 2011

End o' Week Musings







Life would be much better today if I could talk a little easier... but I digress...









My editor Catherine, my podmate Linda and I went to preview the ASID tour. We visited three homes - one in Arcadia and two in Pasadena - and met their designers to learn about how they become more personal to their owners, as well as more showcase-y.









Back in the office, I called vocalist and harpist Moya Brennan to interview her for my preview story for her concert at Caltech in Pasadena in September. Moya was a delight! She has a wonderful way of sharing stories from her life and we often laughed together. She grew up in the countryside in Ireland, where her father owned a tavern and Moya and her siblings would sing and play instruments. This led to her career which has found her traveling the world charming millions of people. On a side note, Moya and vocalist Enya are sisters.




In the evening, my mom and I went to the Everyday Joe Art Show in Glendora. We looked over all the art - which was terrific! - and bought a bunch of earrings from Tracie Conley of Colorful Crow.




Sunday I went to the Bermudez Projects Gallery in Los Angeles for an urban picnic. Gingham picnic "tablecloths" were on the floor and we nibbled on chicken, cole slaw and macaroni & cheese, while sipping iced tea and wine. It was different and fun. Before and after dining, I looked over the art on display by Amanda Beckmann. her collages are full of color and life and could perk up any room.



After the picnic, I wandered farther down the street to the fashion district and peeked in the fabric stores. I found a great shop with tons of embellishments and bought a few things for one of my belly dance tops that I'm redoing.




Gwendolyn came in to chat with me about her new album Tuesday. In "Bright Light" she parts ways with her previous eclectic grooves, settling on some country with an Americana bent. It's a good album (out in September) and has already passed approval with several sets of ears in my office. But for the best listening-- catch Gwendolyn life.







Wednesday I met with Ron Ellington Shy and his son Taber Shy at the Sugar Bowl in Covina for an interview. They will be performing a few doors down at the Fret House in September. We talked about music history and the treatment of sessions players and other artists in the past. Ron has played with a who's who list of artists, including The Drifters and The Coasters. He was very interesting. Taber is getting serious about his music and he is obviously carrying on the talent legacy, as he has a decent voice and plays guitar as well.




Yesterday I spent more than two hours in the dentist chair finishing the rest of my tooth's prep for its crown. My dentist accidentally cut my tongue, but fortunately I was too numb to notice. He had to hold it in guaze to stop the bleeding, so my new saying will be "Dentist got your tongue?" Ha ha ha! I have to laugh because it really hurts today and it's very hard to talk.



Tonight I'm planning to go with Angela to see Upground at Memorial Park in Pasadena. It should be a lively show.



In rotation this week: Gwendolyn, Samiam, Queen, Owl City and Beat Union.



Photos we got 'em: Just my usual cadre of cuties from the Web.




Thought o' the week: It's all about attitude. Yes, I could be really mad at my dentist right now, but I know he didn't mean to hurt me. I'll tease him next time I'm there so he will know all is forgiven.



This attitude can be applied to many situations. You can choose to make a fight or to let things go and you'd be surprised how often things just aren't worth the fight. Next time you feel anger coming on, stop and think about how it could ruin the rest of your day. Is it worth it? Is the reason to be angry big enough or is it a tiny thing that you'll forget about in a day or so?








Life's to short to let your emotions get the best of you. Check your 'tude and



Keep on rockin'

Mickie








2 comments:

Bobby Boy said...

Hi Mickie,

I keyed in on your visit with Moya Brennan for two reasons: If her father's pub was named after him, it would be the same name as the US version of an Irish pub in Marina del Ray, where I have seen AMCB featuring EVS many times. Also, both Pat and I like to do crossword puzzles, and ENYA is a favorite musical artist among puzzle constructors. A few years ago, two different puzzles had as a clue: "Seventies Soul singer Sands" (four letters). It isn't every day we meet someone we know personally in the Sunday brain challenger.

Mickie said...

Hello Bobby!

Moya's father's place was called Leo's Tavern.

You should save the "Evie" crosswords and give them to her next time you catch one of her shows-- I bet she'd get a kick out them!

Keep on rockin'!