Friday, November 4, 2011

End o' Week Musings



I am sooo ready for the weekend!

Last Saturday I went to the Escondido Renaissance Faire with my friends Linda and Veronica. It wasn't huge, but it was fun. There were lots of vendors and the food offerings were great. I also thought it was cool that pets were allowed and many of the dogs seemed to be enjoying the outting, as well as a big snake.








On Sunday I went with movie critic Vernor to see "Puss in Boots." I enjoyed how the film had many nuances drawn from old spaghetti westerns and I loved all the little details (like the hilt of Puss' sword has a cat head). It's a good movie for kids of all ages, as they say.





Monday we were allowed to dress up for Halloween at work, so I went to the office as Josie from "Josie & the Pussycats." I was surprised that a few people figured it out first try, as the television show's been long gone. The other thing that made me laugh was how many people liked my hair - a short pink wig. I'm wondering if that should be my new 'do?! But it would be really hard to part with the long red curls I'm known for.




I had extra fun after work. I decided to go for my usual neighborhood walk in my costume. The streets were filled with kids, as the row of local churches was doing Trunk-or-Treat (people park their cars and the kids go in a line, stopping at each car for a treat), as well as having live music, raffles, hot chocolate, popcorn and other goodies. When I walked by my neighbors' houses and said hello, they didn't recognize me. These are the people I talk to almost every evening! Too funny!!



My week was quiet in the evenings, aside from band practice and Polynesian dance class. My days have been overflowing with interviews and writing. This week I spoke with Felix Rodriguez of The Sounds, artist Patrick Gothard, Tiffany designer John Truex, choreographer John Pennington and curator of the Arcadia Historical Museum Dana Dunn. Lots of good events coming up, so stay tuned to http://www.sgvn.com/ to catch my stories.






Speaking of stories, several weeks ago I interviewed Julie Newmar about her book. She will be at Vroman's in Pasadena 5 p.m. Nov. 12. I was impressed by how gracious and nice she was-- I could spend an afternoon chatting over tea with her and feel totally comfortable! Today I received the most wonderful e-mail-- a thank you from Julie, along with a photograph of her garden. Wow! I know she must be busy, so to take time out for me is an honor. And her garden is gorgeous!!



Next week I will be meeting with Janelle, who writes the blog http://www.janellerandazza.com/ We've become friends through Twitter and have decided to meet in person. It should be a good adventure. I will also be talking with Act As If to preview their album release show in December. The rest of my week will be a surprise.










In rotation this week: Van Helsing's Curse, Martina McBride and The Sounds.











Photos we got 'em: A shot of me as Josie and some cute animal photos from the web.






Thought o' the week: From rain, a new day. I woke up this morning to plink, plink, plink, little raindrops hitting my roof. It made me feel good, as the rain makes the plants happy and leaves everything shiny and feeling new. The rain also made me think.




I have had a bad attitude about a few things going on in my life right now (What?! Me have a bad attitude about something?! You're shocked, I know). Any day can be the right day to look at things in a new way, but what better time than after some rain?






As I sit peeking out the window a few hours later, I see the sun pushing away the gray and drying up the puddles. Yes, I need to take this freshness and newness cue and apply it to myself. It's time to look again and give myself an attitude adjustment. I know I'll be happier with all that negativity washed away. Could you use a little rain?




Don't forget to turn your clocks back an hour Saturday night/Sunday morning and





Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: