Friday, June 15, 2007

End o' week musings


Another week, another pile of laundry. It looks like I have my weekend planned, but if I play my cards right I should get it done in about two hours- just enough time to devote to a good book or some interesting CDs.

My ears have been keeping busy with a range of music. I attended a free outdoor concert by the Pasadena City College Community Band and especially liked their Frank Sinatra medley.
I also got to see the Aggrolites at the Galaxy in Santa Ana- wow what a great show! They had the place packed and rockin'! I didn't care for the local bands that opened, as they seemed to be working too hard to be theatrical which took away from their sounds. But I did enjoy OPM, which trolled out some cool reggae.

Sunday was a full day with Zaynah and I performing at Cairo Carnivale at Santa Anita Park and then I attended a show at Walt Disney Concert Hall. Cairo is an annual two-day belly dance event with two stages of performances, workshops, food and lots of shopping. Zaynah and I danced to the Tribe of Gypsies' cover of Halen's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and ended with a drum solo piece. We had a blast! And shopping, oh my! I bought a beautiful red and black silk veil, a flowing pink wrap skirt, a long peasant-style sundress, two pairs of earrings, some body glitter and... hmmm... the list goes on. Believe it or not, I spend under my budget (Yes, I had been saving for this event).

My friend Andrew Kvammen (Andrew's Bad Stuff) is an alumnae of the Young Musicians' Orchestra and he was invited to perform at a show at Walt Disney Concert Hall celebrating the organization's 70th anniversary and its founder. The night was full of celebrities, such as Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Roony, Doris Roberts, June Lockhart, Debby Boone, Pat Boone, Gary Owens and more, who came out to toast the YMO with their memories and talents. Andrew played trombone and looked handsome in his tux. The best part was the "South Pacific" selections. Also the architecture and acoustics of the hall were amazing! I would definitely go there again.

Last night I went to the Skye Box in Montrose for the jam session. I was planning to just sit and watch, but ended up taking the mic for "Cold Shot." It was fun and interesting, as I have never sung the song before except with an acoustic rendering and no drums... or trombone for that matter. Andrew had shown up to play, although he didn't sing like he usually does.
Interviews to watch for: Dusty Redmon of The Almost, Bluebeard, Laurent from Gallows and Oderus of Gwar. Look for my stories on Acute, the Aggrolites and Brian Wilson at http://www.sgvn.com/.

Next week promises more excitement with an exclusive invitation to a doggie fashion show, the big makeup trade show in Pasadena, more dance and band rehearsals and a Hawaiian potluck at the office.
Hey, did you notice the babe with the babe? That's my friend, Valerie, who has recently become a great aunt to a little guy named Logan. Congrats!

In rotation this week: The Aggrolites, The Almost, Gallows, Gwar, Brian Wilson's "Pet Sounds," Jewel, Alanis Morrisette, Brides of Destruction, Judas Priest ("Essential"), Iron Maiden ("Best of"), Queen ("Best of"), Megadeth, Kings X, Ramones, Tribe of Gypsies and a clutch of classic rockers.

Spread some joy by doing the unexpected ~ give a stranger a smile, compliment a co-worker, thank your boss ~ be creative! It will make the world a happier place and you'll feel good too.
And
Keep on rockin'
Mickie




No comments: