Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Jennifer Brantley's CD doing well

With her new CD Break Down in rotation on over 104 radio stations and 18,525 friends on her Myspace page, Americana country/rocker Jennifer Brantley is optimistic about the future. It was just three years ago when producer Bil VornDick (Alison Krauss, Bela Fleck, Ralph Stanley)- a man with Numerous Grammy credits to his name- caught Jennifer's show at a Nashville club. The two met a couple of times and began working on the CD which was released Sept 4. The CD, which was 2 ½ years in the making, draws on a variety of subject matter. Observations of growing up in the rural south of MS. and CA. have made for much of her songwriting subjects. Dysfunctional relatives, preachers going astray and even a silly song about Blondes make their way onto this CD.
"I've written a lot of stuff over the past two years. Sometimes I will just write as I'm strumming and watching my four house rabbits hop around the living room. I wrote several songs with Bil too over at his studio. I also recorded a couple that my friend Mike Noble wrote," Brantley says. "It was really great going over to Bil's studio to record and write cause of the history there" she says. The studio used to be the old Moose Lodge where Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson would party. I would often think of Patsy being there as I was doing vocals"
Brantley moved to Nashville in Dec of 2001 and like most aspiring singer/songwriters started playing the open mics and writers nights hoping for the best. However, unlike most she quickly put together a band and began playing around the eastern U.S.
"I love playing live in clubs. A lot of these songs on the record have been road tested. I took a couple that I recorded off the CD and I added a few too because of how people responded when we played them live." she says.

Jennifer Brantley
"We are playing the 10th Annual Gram Parsons Tribute in Waycross GA next month and I can't wait. A lot of my friends on Myspace have already said they are coming out too," She says about one of her future shows.
She is also taking part in 'Musicians on Call' a program for where Nashville artists go play to bed ridden patients at Vanderbilt hospital. The Beatles, Gram Parsons, the Stones, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and Dwight Yoakam, Emmylou Harris, Roger Miller and The Byrds were big influences on her songwriting and performance. She even plays a 12 string electric guitar on stage.
"I saw a Tennessee Williams play a few years ago when I was in New York and that got me thinking some too, when I began writing for this CD," she says.
Jennifer won an Honorable Mention Award from Billboards World song Contest. She was also nominated for best singer/songwriter in Americana for the L A Music Awards. In addition she had a #1 song overall on Garageband.com and was honored by ASCAP in their Playback newsletter.

No comments: