Friday, November 16, 2007

End o' week musings

































Where did the week go? At first it was busy, then it dragged and finally it kicked in to overdrive. In fact, with the wonder of the Web, you can actually see some of my adventures, as you will learn shortly.

Last Saturday I took the Main Street Vice tour with Esotouric. I boarded a beautiful bus to learn about the sleazier side of life in old Los Angeles, from taxi dancers to crime; tattoo parlors to landmarks, our journey had it all. Along the way, our guides, Kim Cooper and Richard Shave pointed out the sights today, while offering photos from the past on TV screens. Very intriguing. You can watch a video made from our outing at http://www.sgvn.com/ . Select any newspaper, scroll down to the Audio/Video box and choose Esotouric. They offer literary, crime, architectural and rock history tours. For more info, visit http://www.esotouric.com/
After my foray with them, I went to the office to write my story and edit the film. From there, I managed to catch the last set of The Subs at the Dockside Grill in West Covina. I just love this local trio! BTW- thanks for the glass of merlot, Danny, you are one of my favorite guitar players and your voice is pretty good too. But where's the Black Sabbath?!
Sunday I went to a Memorial Day dinner at the American Legion in Highland Park. I sat with three men from the Jewish Legion in Hollywood. They were fascinating. One was a tail gunner and the other two had stories of combat that paled even my exciting life. I was honored to have spent time with these men, as well as the many other military people who were in attendance at the event. There really is no way that I can thank them enough for making the sacrifices they have to make my world a little safer.

Tuesday was fun. I met Christine Silvestri of Urban Shopping Adventures for an interview for a story. She gave me a mini tour of Pasadena, just a sample of what her company offers, and I ended up buying a gorgeous deep purple gown with a necklace for the halter straps. Now I need a date so I can wear it!


I spent time with my mother on Wednesday and later had a nice evening with Atticus, my Jack Russell terrier. Due to my tiny apartment, he lives with my friend, John, and his Belgian malinois, Indiana Bones. He has a great life- big yard, big house and big buddy, but when I drop by, Atti knows I'm there for him. He spent most of the time in my lap and all was right with the world.

Thursday was a surprise. One of my co-workers came into the office and said, "You made the paper!" My photo and a paragraph about me was in the Pasadena Weekly to preview the upcoming Pasadena Doo Dah Parade Queen Try-outs. I am a five-time consecuetive runner-up and perhaps this is my year... Here's the info if you'd like to come out and cheer me on:


SUN. 11/18 - OFFICIAL DOO DAH QUEEN TRYOUTS & PRE-DOO DAH PARADE PARTY @ THE AMERICAN LEGION HALL IN PASADENA 1pm.

179 N. Vinedo Ave., just South of Foothill. 626-792-9938.


SNOTTY SCOTTY & THE HANKIES and HORSES ON ASTROTURF entertain before, during and after the Queen tryouts & crowning. $5 admission. CHEAP drinks & food available for purchase, raffles. 21 & over.
The Doo Dah Parade will take place on Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008.

OK, so you know my weekend is planned now! And the other videos you should see are Marching Bands and Compost they should be up on http://www.sgvn.com/ this weekend. I'm not in them, but they show some of the many interesting ways I spend my mornings... in the cold... before I've had my coffee....
Lastly I would like to give a shout out to my friend Roc and his terrific dogs, Frito and Pepsi. You'll get all those Corvettes running like cream one day, dude!

Photos this week are just fun stuff I found on the Web and one of me and my entourage, Angela and Valerie, at the Doo Dah Parade last year.

In rotation this week: Sarah McLaughlin, Luna Halo, Otep, Bob Dylan, Halford, Sleaze Freaks, Cowboy Junkies and Lou Reed.


I've finally got myself back on track! The past two weeks, I have been eating better and sticking to my workout routine and the scale shows it. But instead of focusing on my figure, I've been recognizing how much better I feel- more energy, more strength, just better overall. This doesn't only apply to health, you can apply this type of system to any goal. When you do something that seems like a task, reflect on how it makes you feel- successful, satisfied, peaceful, happy, etc. Then it becomes a joy.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: