Friday, December 7, 2007

End o' week musings




































It's the end of another week and it's still good to be Queen! I have been having a blast and finding a range of intriguing opportunities offered to me as each day progresses.

Last Friday, after my stint on the "Horror Kung Fu Theater" cable television show and a crazy afternoon at work, it was all I could do to get home, put on my jammies and try to relax. The rain was falling and it made me feel snuggly and sleepy.

Saturday I went to the Fret House in Covina for a regal appearance. Valerie joined me, as I was supposed to dance as well. Rich Seymour, who runs the Open Mic Night, greeted us warmly and offered us a practice room to use as a dressing room. We watched the performers - some pro or close to it and some first timers - take their turns with the two song or 10 minute slots and at the end of the first half, Rich announced that the Queen of the 31st Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade was in the house. I made my way down the aisle with my crown stuck on my head, my swords under one arm and my scepter held up high (think Statue of Liberty), plus Valerie in tow. I had some fun with the crowd explaining the parade and who we were.

Valerie and I danced to Tribe of Gypsies' version of "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," Aerosmith's take on "(Remember) Walking in the Sand" and a short drum solo. The crowd seemed to really enjoy it. After we finished I made Rich kneel and pronounced him the Knight of Music. In return he gave me a huge smile. We barely made it off the stage before we were surrounded by new fans filled with questions. Valerie and I stayed for the remainder of the show and enjoyed the evening immensely.

I would definitely recommend the Fret House's Open Mic Night to any acoustic artists and fans seeking a place where they will be met with warmth and comfort. It is held 8 p.m. on the first Saturday of every month. Sign-ups are at 7:30 p.m. There is a small fee. Here's the basics: 309 N Citrus Ave., Covina, CA 91723, (626) 339-7020 www.covina.com/frethouse/
Sunday I was supposed to go out to Texuba's kimono show, but the weather was still so-so and both Valerie and I were tired so we decided to give it a miss. I actually had quite a nice day being a slug for a change. OK, I'm lying, I wasn't a total slug. I have a favorite coat- long and velvety leopard print. And it's needed some mending. Just mending something is never enough for me of course, I have to reinvent or redesign. I have this cool fuzzy tiger fabric and I tore my coat apart and inset the tiger under the arms and down the sides of it. Boy, do I love my overlock sewing machine- I could almost anything with it! Now I can be warm and stylish in my own way!

The rest of my week was a blur:

Monday - the big boss asked me to work on creating a Diary of a Doo Dah Queen blog to follow my progress from coronation to post-parade day!

Tuesday - interviewed local renaissance guy Ross Anthony about his music, writing and world travels.

Also a work holiday party afterhours at the Ice House in Pasadena. I invited local singer/songwriter/guitarist extraordinaire Joe Walla to join me and he did! We had a nice time, a good dinner and lots of laughs. Plus I won two tickets to the Aqaurium of the Pacific. Not a bad night, huh?

Wednesday - interviewed makeup artist and up-and-coming cosmetics creator Beth Bender about her product line. She and her sister, Te-See, are lovely, charming and fun. Beth's collection is really great too. You should check her out for some great gifts- for your holiday list and to spoil yourself too. http://www.bethbender.com/

Thursday - another work holiday party with plates heaped with food, music played by a group of employees who through something together (they totally rocked!) and yet another raffle. This time I won a small CD/cassette player with a radio too. Must be my year.

Tonight I will be here:

1st Friday Art Club
7 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday, Dec. 7
$5, includes dinner, art show and bands
McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World
2475 N. Lake Ave.
Altadena

Come down and join in the fun.

Saturday I have a friend's birthday party and on Thursday I will be hosting a little soiree for my Offical Entourage for the parade. We're going to brainstorm hard to have the best queen's entry ever!

In rotation this week: Tha Riks, Ross Anthony, Orange Sky, 69 Eyes, Racoon and Solace.

This week I've been doing well and it seems like life is turing my way, so I think thankfulness is my theme. I think God gets a bit tired of all of our complaints and requests and likes to hear something nice once in a while, so prayer, for me, is one way of giving thanks, but not the only way. I am also looking of ways to spread my happiness and good fortune. I have been collecting small goodies for one friend's children, as I know she's been going through a hard time financially this year and I hope I can ease some stress. I am promoting the Light Bringer Project, which uses the monies from Doo Dah to support their various community programs for children and the mentally ill. I am going to stop at a special store this weekend for some things my mother needs - she can't drive - and I will take them to her early next week. So big or small, you can pass it on. Not just during the holidays, but all the year through!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie











No comments: