Friday, April 10, 2009

End o' week musings

It's been a way-too-long, very emotional week.

I left you last time when I was limping from physical therapy, but feeling upbeat. On Saturday I went to yoga. In the evening I grabbed up Valerie to help me with my nighlife story on Coconut Bay Bar and Restaurant in Rowland Heights (http://www.coconutbayonline.com/ ). The atmosphere is really nice, the service is good and the food is superb. There's also live music, just check their online calendar before you go.




I spent the bulk of Sunday with my mom. I took her to the 99-Cent store and Target for all kinds of shopping and then we went to Dahlia's in West Covina for dinner. She had spaghetti and meatballs, while I dined on eggplant parmesian which was yummy. And the salads were really good too. Oooo and did I mention the roast banana gellato? It is a must-eat!!

Monday I was on my way to work. I was already going slow, as I was nearing the school zone by my office, when a Yorkshire terrier decided to use the crosswalk. No big, I took my foot off the gas, judging that he would be across by the time I reached him ... and then BAM!!! A Dodge Dakota hit me from behind.



We pulled into a nearby parking lot to survey the damages. My trunk was bent in and all-in-all my car didn't look too bad, except for the rear passenger wheel rubbing. The guy's truck was another story-- the front was totally bashed up, his radiator leaked out all its fluid, his airbag had deployed and his wife hit her head on the windhield and cracked it.




I called the police, as I wasn't sure what to do. The police came and told us to exchange information, which we did. He asked the wife if she wanted medical help and she declined. The policeman said he didn't need to file a report for us (insurance later told me this is now becoming the norm) and he had to leave for another call. Then he called AAA for a tow truck for the guy. My insurance had me on hold so I asked the shop where we were parked if I could go to my office and return for my car. They didn't mind it, so I grabbed my belongings and hoofed it down the street.


I got my insurance on the phone and they helped arrange a body shop and a tow and everything. I found out yesterday that my car will be repaired and there wasn't any damage to the axle nor the frame-- it's pretty much the body only. My friends Carin and Tom loaned me their Geo Metro so I gave back the loaner car (I have to pay up front for it, so that will save me $$$s).




The last bad thing. It appears the the truck guy may only have AAA roadside service and not insurance as he claimed. But I have uninsured motorist coverage so my insurance told me I should still be OK. If the guy doesn't have insurance, they will pursue him for the money directly and also advice DMV. That's sad, but it's not only the law, it's the right thing to do- be responsible. I was also a little upset that the policeman never said anything to the man about how fast he was going in a school zone nor about not having seatbelts....


My biggest beef here, though, is that what if it had been a child in the crosswalk? And what if my car hadn't been there at all? The truck guy would have killed the kid!

Tuesday I was still a bit dazed and, in fact, today is the first day I've started to feel myself.... But last night I managed to go out to the Echoplex for Dengue Fever's DVD/CD release party for "Sleepwalking Through the Mekong." The film is really fantastic. You get to see the beauty and mystery of Cambodia, along with the people and the poverty. The cultural exchange between the American band and the Cambodian musicians, students and other people was inspiring. The film also makes you appreciate all that you have here.



The band performed live after the screening and they rocked! I love my Dengue Fever CDs, but I've only caught them live once before and I forgot how much fun they are on stage. They're on tour, so you should try to see them or at least check out their DVD.


Tomorrow I am planning to go to Carin and Tom's for a barbecue. I will be bringing salad stuff so people can put together what they like or just graze. I know I'll definitely need a drink, a cigar and a soak in the hot tub!



Next week is busy with interviews and writing and I will have a dance practice in there. We're back at it again- yay!


In rotation this week: Janis Joplin, Carbon 9, Old Californio and Orange Sky.

Photos we got 'em: The usual assorted pets, plus my friend Jo Dunn's car (Jo says: Good car show by the Lions Club at Team Chevrolet, 3003 E. Colorado Blvd, Pasadena. Saturday 4/11/09 , classic and hot rods. I will have my 1957 T-Bird there! IF it does not rain! ha.. If you like cars come on by!!) and her dog, Roxy, in bunny ears and finally my friend Dan at work on some of the jewelry he makes.

Thought o' the day: Faith can keep you sane. I'm usually pretty quiet about politics and religion, but I do have my opinions and beliefs. I also pray every night, asking for help for my friends and guidance for myself and thanking for all that I have. I've been doing a lot of praying this week... so much that maybe God is tired of me! lol! But it has helped me find some peace.

When my car was first hit, it was up in the air as to whether it would be replaced or totalled and I really didn't relish the hunt for a new vehicle. I was angry and scared and all kinds of other icky emotions, so I did the two things that bring me peace-- yoga and praying. By yesterday I had finally accepted what had happened to me and had the mindset of what is to be will be. It was a much better feeling.

I won't tell you what to do or what to believe, but prayer is powerful. Just keep that in mind next time you need to center yourself. It may help you find peace too.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie










No comments: