Friday, July 2, 2010

End o' week musings

Woo hoo! I'm on the cusp of a three-day weekend!... and I feel fine la-la-la!






Last weekend was busy and quiet-- a perfect mix! Saturday I went to the Goldline groundbreaking event in Arcadia. I met up with my friend Bob Davis, who knows everything about trains, so we had a good chat. As we looked over the station models, Bob told me little snippets of history about each stop, as well as shared a few personal stories.






Next I went to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena for a meeting on the "Doo Dah Photo and Memorabilia" exhibit and photo contest. The event will be held at the gallery July 17 to benefit the Light Bringer Project. I will be dancing there too, but for more info, look on my blog at the entry below.












I had just enough time to go home and get myself ready for the denoument of my day~ meeting my friend Drew for sushi. He was out from Salt Lake City, Utah visiting family. We haven't seen each other in forever, so it was nice to catch up on everything.



The most impressive part of the meal was Drew speaking in fluent Japanese. I let him order and the food was spectacular! He lived in Japan for a while, so of course he would know what would be yummy. We toasted with large Sapporos. What a terrific evening!


Sunday I took my mom to the grocery store, the 99 Cents store and for lunch at Taco Nazo/Senior Fish in Baldwin Park. Then I went home and took a delicious long nap.












Wednesday, Carin called and invited me for dinner and a soak in her hot tub. Her niece Megan was visiting and it was great to see her again. We ate at the Fish Company and I had a crisp salad, seasame seed coated ahi with ginger dressing, garlic pasta and mmmm hot rolls. Back in the tub, I shared a martini with Carin's hubby Tom. I wanted a drink, but knew I had to drive later, so little sips for me...


Last night was Polynesian dance class and my darn teacher changed our dance number completely. I wasn't thrilled about the one we were working on, but at least I could remember it. The new one is cute enough and fun, so I guess it will be fine. I understand Tavanna's troupe, which includes some of the women in my class, will be performing at the Fourth of July festival at the park in Irwindale Sunday. I believe they take the stage sometime around 4 p.m.


This weekend is a mix again. I'll be lunching with Louise tomorrow and probably heading out to Sierra Madre for its 3rd of July celebration in Memorial Park 6-10 p.m. Aluminum Marshmallow & the Age of Aquarius Horns will be playing. Sunday I think I'm heading back to Carin's to swim in her pool, hang out in her Flamingo Lounge and Tiki Bar, watch fireworks and finish with a soak in the spa. Did I mention martinis would be involved? And since I have Monday off, I can stay the night if I would like! Extra olives please!!


Next week I plan to go to Maggie's in Santa Fe Springs Wednesday for its monthly buffet. I like it because you can try nibbles of a range of things so you know what you might like to order when you eat there again. Also, the buffet is free with your drink order (even non-alcholic drinks!) and that's a real bargain.


In rotation this week: Jewel, Herman ze German, Orange Sky and assorted rocker stuff.


Photos we got 'em: Two pics of me at the Goldline groundbreaking event taken by Bob Davis and a selection of pet shots from the Net.




Thought o' the week: Give thanks. I know it's the 4th of July and that we're celebrating our nation's independence, but somewhere in between the hot dogs and fireworks I keep thinking about our veterans and our current troops. Having independence and the many freedoms we do is wonderful, but it's one thing to have them and another to keep them.

Over the years, thousands of men and women have left their families, their jobs and all that they call home in order to protect our country. These heroes have unselfishly given their time and, in some cases, their lives just so you and I can sleep safely at night and enjoy our holiday with hot dogs and fireworks. Some have returned home to a happy welcome, some have been criticized and many have been simply ignored.

You may claim you're patriotic, but dressing up in red, white and blue or wearing a flag pin isn't enough. When you meet a service member or veteran, shake their hand firmly and thank them for what they have done for you. Then in your heart, you can feel truly proud to be an American.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie












No comments: