Friday, July 23, 2010

End o' Week Musings










What I thought would only be a week of afterglow from the Doo Dah gala has ended up being pretty darn exciting! But then, I transgress....



Friday I spent doing all the last minute things getting ready for Saturday- shopping, wrapping (thanks mum for the amazing help), preparing my dresses, running other errands and then going to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World to put up the exhibit.



I slept in a bit on Saturday and spent a fairly lazy day, slowly getting ready for the evening's fun. The Doo Dah Photography & Memorabilia Exhibit was a true gala, with Chico's Bail Bonds and The Subs holding court on the stage and fantastic silent auction. Reigning Queen Erica played guitar and harmonica, Count Smokula dusted off his accordion, Prince Andrew emceed and tootled his trumpet and I shook my groove thing with my swords.


The exhibit itself, well, I have to say I was pretty proud. I think Queen Skittles, Gary Barbuto, Ben McGinty, myself and few others who lent their talents here and there did a really great job. Heck, we could give any local museum or gallery a run for its money!


Here's a review and photos of the gala by one of my favorite Englishmen, Terry Miller:

Also, check out these great photos by San Gabriel Valley Newspaper Group photographer Eric Reed, who took top honors at the event, garnering the Spirit of Doo Dah trophy:

And if you missed the event, you can still help the Light Bringer Project, just visit http://www.lightbringerproject.com/


Sunday evening my friend Roc took me to the Starlight Bowl in Burbank to see Little River Band. It isn't really the type of music either of us is into, but his other friends who joined us had suggested the show. It turned out to be a decent time, very relaxing as the sun set and the group's musicianship is quite formidable. Only problem... I can't get that darn "Reminiscing" out of my brain! I even tried singing it while doing the dishes, which usually works... Suggestions??







I worked hard all this week with some fun. I interviewed Joe Walla ( http://www.joewalla.com/ ) on Wednesday night for a story to preview his show at the Arcadia Blues Club in August. Michael Burks and Bobby Bluehouse will also perform. The event will benefit Operation Homefront, a charity which supports military families.


Saturday I will be going on Esotouric's "Haunts of a Dirty Old Man: Charles Bukowski's Los Angeles" bus tour. My friends Tom and Carin are coming too, but it isn't all for fun-- I'm actually doing research for a story I will be writing on the Bukowski exhibit at The Huntington (http://www.huntington.org/ ) in San Marino in October.




I've been on several of Esotouric's tours and they're always great. Owners Kim and Richard always have a ton of interesting information and even bring on guest experts for extra facts. They also show short films and photos and offer cool stops for you to get out the bus, stretch and discover. The range of offerings includes crime, history, literature and architecture-- plenty of culture and fun for anyone. Check out http://www.esotouric.com/ and have an adventure!


Next week I will be interviewing local band The Sundowners and hard-core rockers DevilDriver. OK, drumroll please, I just found out that I will also get to sit down and talk tete-a-tete with Herman Rarebell, former drummer for the Scorpions who recently released an album under the moniker Herman Ze German! Wow, I'll be chatting with history!! I so hate my job ha ha ha!



In rotation this week: Foghat (their new awesome blues album!), Jewel, Joe Walla and Sting.


Photos we got 'em: A peek at the fun at the Doo Dah event by Terry Miller and the exhibit of my dresses by Eric Reed and a couple of kitty pics from the Web that amused me.


Thought o' the Week: Watch your candle. Sounds deep, huh? But actually it's more cautionary. I was close to "burning my candle at both ends" this week, but made an effort to get the rest I needed.

I think I'm in the final phases of my back healing, as I feel really great. The pain has lessened considerably and my flexibility is terrific. I have the urge to hurry up and get back to doing everything I've been missing, but I have intentionally been taking baby steps instead. I don't want to go two steps forward and three back, finding myself stuck in bed watching TV when I'd rather be out adventuring.



After decorating the gallery Friday, I went home and soaked in an epsom salts bath; Saturday rinse, repeat and so on through the week. Plus icing and laying with a pillow under my knees as needed. I've been walking every night - even last night after dance class - working out every morning and making sure to get up and stretch when I'm in the office. And sleep, I've been going to bed a little earlier and staying in it a little longer to make sure I get the zzzs I need.
How about you? Is your candle burning out? I know summer fun is constantly calling, but take care of yourself so your candle keeps burning bright.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie




















No comments: