Friday, July 6, 2007

End o' week musings

Yeah, we're all getting old... at least that's what my mother tells me now that my optometrist has given me transitional lense glasses to wear while driving. He says it's not a "real" prescription, meaning I don't have to wear the glasses, but I should. And to be honest, things do look a lot sharper, especially at night, with them on. Better safe than scary, huh?

My week started busy with the Warped Tour kick-off party last Thursday night at the Glass House in Pomona. On stage was Kennedy, Big D and the Kids Table, Gallows and surprise guest Bad Religion. Kennedy was fun and Big D was spectacular! I also enjoyed the Brit punk energy and sound of Gallows and Bad Religion has had a long career for obvious reasons. It was great show.

Friday I spent my day at Vans Warped Tour and caught a bunch of acts. It was hot and tiring, but definitely worth it. If you visit http://www.sgvn.com/, you can read my reviews, check out the photo gallery and catch the action on a video. And while you're there, take a peek at my Make-Up Artist Trade Show video too- Sarah Reingewirtz did a beautiful job of shooting the scenes, I did the editing and voiceover and my friend, Joe Walla, supplied some extra music.

Saturday I had a full slate. My partner and I danced at the Relay for Life 24-hour benefit for the American Cancer Society. The stage was hot, as it wasn't covered, but we gave up a decent show and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. After that I jetted home, hopped in the shower and dolled up for our next performance at Punk Raqs in San Bernardino. Put on by Mecda Inland Empire (http://www.mecda.org/ ), the event is an opportunity for dancers to perform to goth, industrial, punk, rock and any kind of music and wear non-traditional costumes, as in rocker gear, etc. We danced to "Scream" by King's X and the Ramones' cover of "Spider-Man." We got a lot of comments, such as "you two are so much fun" and "I always look forward to seeing you because you do something different every show." Not bad, huh?

Tuesday I went to Memorial Park in Sierra Madre to catch family-friendly rockers Aluminum Marshmallow and the Age of Aquarius Horns. The park was full of people dancing, picnicking and socializing. There were food vendors too for the unprepared. It was a great show made better by the fact that I know the band and they're not only talented musicians, but good people. They even gave up part of their show time to The Shedds, a trio of kids (and I mean kids) who play rockin' originals and covers like you wouldn't believe.

My 4th of July was a mix. I headed out to a party and jam in Huntington Beach and the traffic was agony. People at the party advised me to leave before dark or I would be stuck there for hours and hours. I took their advice and enjoyed the jam and the wonderful buffet, saying my goodbyes by 7 p.m. Back home I caught some fireworks on the TV, but it was just too much like the yule log video they show on Christmas, so I turned the channel to a mindless cop show and later, a senseless sit-com and called it an early night.

After band practice tomorrow I'm heading out to Solano Beach for a week of sand between my toes. I'm hoping to catch the Squirrel Nut Zippers at the Belly Up and take in some tourist time at SeaWorld. I'll be back tanned, relaxed and full of stories for you. Don't cry.... but you can miss me lol!

In rotation this week: Pat Benatar, Billy Squire, Tribe of Gypsies, Wasp, Joe Walla Band, Janis Joplin, Gwar, Oojami, X-Files compilation and Aerosmith.
This week, be like me and take a breather. Inhale. Relax for even just a minute and reflect on the all the beauty that surrounds you in this world. Exhale. Inhale. Think about what you can do to make the world even more beautiful. Exhale. Inhale. Feel peace. Exhale. Smile.

And keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: